Last modified: 2022-03-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: la bâtie-neuve |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Bâtie-Neuve - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 8 July 2021
The municipality of La Bâtie-Neuve (2,561 inhabitants in 2019; 2,799 ha) is located 10 km east of Gap.
La Bâtie-Neuve was mentioned in 953, as Locus sanctus Sebastianus, parrochia, "the place of St. Sebastian parish". The nmae La Bâtie-Neuve was coined in 1225
after the construction of a new castle by the bishops of Gap, as opposed to the old castle of B&eacirc;tie-Vieille, located 5 km away.
At the end of the 19th century, the southern rampart was suppressed to build more comfortable dwellings. At the beginning of the 20th century, the castle was still visible, although not well maintained. In 1951, its keep collapsed causing 2 casualties. During the second half of the 20th century, the castle was almost completely destroyed.
Olivier Touzeau, 8 July 2021
The flag of La Bâtie-Neuve, hoisted of the last remaining tower of the castle (photo), is white with the municipal logo in the center, featuring a white bear outlined in blue, with a yellow bear's footprint in the background.
Dominique Cureau, 8 November 2004