Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: torregamones |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torregamones - Image by Eugene ipavec, 16 October 2010
The municipality of Torregamones (304 inhabitants in 2009, 3,707 ha; municipal website) is located in the southeast of Zamora Province, on the border with Portugal (here river Duero / Douro). The village is located in the Arribes del Duero Natural Park, created on 11 April 2002. The word arribes comes, via Asturian, from Latin ad ripam, "on the banks". It is used, locally, to designate the canyon formed by the Duero.
Torregamones most probably emerged around a watchtower (torre) built by the villagers of neighboring Gamones, and later reused as the church tower. Remains of a border fort used during the reign of Charles III (1759-1788) recall the then-struggle between Spain and Portugal.
Ivan Sache, 16 October 2010
The flag (image) and arms of Torregamones are prescribed by a Decree adopted
on 28 October 2010 by the Municipal Council, signed on 2 May 2011 by
the Mayor, and published on 14 June 2011 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 114, p. 46,432 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag diagonally divided from left to right in two coloured fields. The upper field, silver, represents the main source of income of the municipality, granite. The lower part, purple, is a tribute to the region of Castilla y León.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a tower argent surrounded by three asphodels [gamones] argent, 2. Azure a patriarchal cross or charged with the monogram of Ave Maria argent. Grafted in base or a mound proper and a river azur. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The symbols, unveiled on 15 October 2010, were designed by Angel Barrios Licarion, a citizen of Torregamones, on his own time and money (La Opinión de Zamora, 16 October 2010).
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2014