Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: la lastrilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Lastrilla, left, as prescribed; right, as used - Images by Ivan Sache, 18 October 2010
The municipality of La Lastrilla (3,137 inhabitants in 2008; 944 ha; municipal website) is located 3 km from Segovia.
La Lastrilla must have emerged in the 10th-11th centuries, when the Christian Kings resettled the north of the Iberian Penisula. The local Muslim populations mixed with colonists from Cantabria, Basque Country and Navarre. The name of the town is the diminutive form of lastras, referring to the soil on which the town was built. Segovia is surrounded by such lastras, that is stony soil in which the mother limestone rock easily outcrops. The word lastras could be related to the Basque word arlasta, "a natural flagstone". However, the area was settled much earlier, as proved by prehistoric and Roman remains. It is believed that the stones used to build the famous Segovia aquaduct were cropped on the soil (as bolos de granito) in San Lorenzo de Segovia and El Sotillo, the latter place being part of La Lastrilla.
Mentioned for the first time in a church document dated 1247, La Lastrilla reappeared only in 1401, in the Decree regulating the use of water of the canal of river Cambrones, issued by the Noble Government of Cabezuelas. La Lastrilla is listed as the owner of the rights on the village of Ojalvilla, which subsequently disappeared and was replaced by El Sotillo. A third historical document, dated 1533, mentions La Lastrilla as a suburb (arrabal) of Segovia.
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2009
The flag (photo) and arms (image) of La Lastrilla are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 May 2009 by the Municipal Council, signed on 1 June 2009 by the Mayor, and published on 4 August 2009 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 237 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular panel in proportions 1:1, divided vertically into two equal stripes, blue at hoist and white at fly. In the middle, the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a quarryman's sledgehammer and peak sable crossed per saltire over three waves azure and argent. 2. Azure a cross and a crescent superimposed all argent, emblem of the Noble Government of Cabezuelas [Crown not mentioned].
The flag in use is rectangular and not square as prescribed.
The symbols were unveiled on 20 August 2009, during the inauguration of the festival dedicated to St. John, the patron saint of the town. The symbols were unanimuously adopted by the Municipal Council on 26 May 2009, as one of the proposals submitted by Instituto Borbone de Heráldica Municipal(Segovia). The flag was hoisted on the balcony of the Town Hall, near the flags of Spain and Castilla y León, by the Mayor of La Lastrilla, assisted by the President of the Provincial Government of Segovia and by the Territorial Delegate of the Government of Castilla y León.
The Municipal Council decided to adopt symbols since the town never had any since its secession from Segovia in 1830. The left part of the arms represent the biological and economical resources of the town. The right part is the emblem of the Noble Government of Cabezuelas, recalling the mixed Christian and Muslim origin of the town (El Norte de Castilla, 21 August 2009).
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2010