Last modified: 2019-09-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: el rubio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of El Rubio - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 2 June 2014
The municipality of El Rubio (3,580 inhabitants in 2013; 2,080 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km south-east of Seville.
El Rubio was conquered in 1248 by King Ferdinand III the Saint. Whether the village was subsequently incorporated to Estepa, ruled by the Order of Saint James, or Osuna, ruled by the Order of Calatrava, and, subsequently, by the Counts of Ureña and Dukes of Osuna, is a matter of controversy among local historians. In the 17th-18th century, El Rubio belonged to the Dukes of Osuna, the farm (cortijo) being transformed into a settlement (puebla) in 1750 and into a hamlet (aldea) in 1835.
The etymology of El Rubio is disputed, too. Some say the village was named for a Roman estate named Fundus Rubeaus (The Bramble's Estate), known to the Visigoths and the Mozarabs as Rubio. Other say the village was named for a Castilian knight; a Pascual Jiménez Rubio was indeed granted the hamlet of Monclova during the Écija sharing, and might also have given his name to El Rubio.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2014
The flag of El Rubio, adopted on 23 November 1994 by the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, is prescribed by Decree No. 250, adopted on 10 October 1995 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 29 November 1995 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 153, pp. 11,278-11,279 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of five parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist; the first and the fifth stripes, yellow, the second and the fourth stripes, white, and the third stripe, red, the central stripe covering 5/9 of the flag's hoist and the other stripes each 1/9. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
The coat of arms of El Rubio is prescribed by Decree No. 250, adopted on 20 August 1985 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 14 September 1985 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 89, p. 2,665 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is prescribed as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a Cross of St. James gules, 2. Or three gyrons gules a bordure checky or and gules of three orders. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The symbols were designed from scratch by Juan José Antequera Luengo. The proposal of coat of arms, submitted on 2 October 1983 by the designer, was approved on 17 October 1983 by the Municipal Council. The flag proposal was submitted on 17 May 1994 by the designer.
[Juan José Antequera Luengo. Heráldica oficial de la provincia de Sevilla]
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms, acknowledging the "diaphanous reasoning" of the supporting memory and the "great sobriety in the organization of the proposed arms" and considering the heraldic organization of the arms as "impeccable". The arms represent the Order of St. James and the Dukes of Osuna, former lords of El Rubio.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 1985, 182, 3:561]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 June 2014