Last modified: 2016-05-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: rozas de puerto real |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rozas de Puerto Real - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 July 2015
The municipality of Rozas de Puerto Real (493 inhabitants in 2014; 3,015 ha; municipal website) is located in the extreme south-west of the Community of Madrid, on the border with Castilla y León (Province of Ávila), 80 km of Madrid. Once famous for the cultivation of flax, Rozas de Puerto Real owns the biggest chestnut grove in the Community of Madrid.
Rozas de Puerto Real was probably established after the Christian reconquest of the Kingdom of Toledo, on a pass connecting the valleys of Alberche and Tietar. This was the site of a Moorish settlement called Alamín, which included the old inn known as Venta del Cojo (The Lame's Inn); the village was originally known as Rozas de la Venta del Cojo. "Rozas" means "the act of ploughing the land before sowing".
The origin of Puerto Real is more straightforward, since Rozas was located on the Leonese Royal Trail used for the transhumance of sheep. Cattle moving from Ávila to the south of Toledo was counted there.
Rozas subsequently belonged to the Duchy of Escalona, set up on 17 December 1742 by King Henry IV for Juan Pacheco, Marquis of Villena. With the Marquis' permission, Rozas de Puerto Real was granted on 26 June 1693 the status of villa by Charles II.
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2015
The flag of Rozas de Puerto Real is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 June 1997 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 15 October 1997 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 245, p. 10 (text) and on 7 November 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 267, p. 32,671 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in three stripes of equal width, the upper, red, the median, white, and the lower, green. In the center is placed the crowned coat of arms of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Rozas de Puerto Real is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 June 1994 and published on 6 July 1994 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 158, pp. 27-28 (text), and on 27 July 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 178, p. 24,235 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Gules two keys per pale surrounded by six bezants in base a sheep all argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History accepted "without any difficulty" the modified arms submitted by the municipality, as simple, balanced, and fully compliant "with the best Spanish traditions in heraldry".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1994, 91: 3, 577] 328-329]
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2015