This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Robregordo (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-08-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: robregordo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Robregordo - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 July 2015

See also:

Presentation of Robregordo

The municipality of Robregordo (52 inhabitants in 2014; 1,803 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 90 km of Madrid.
Robregordo is located close to the Pass of Somosierra, which connects the two Castiles. Robregordo and Somosierra were for long ruled by a single Council, which was disbanded in 1585 following a criminal case. The two villages depended on the Council of Sepúlveda, ruled by the Mendoza. Robregordo is named for the big oaks (robles) that once grew in the area.

Ivan Sache, 23 July 2015

Symbols of Robregordo

The flag and arms of Robregordo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 June 1994 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 7 July 1994 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 159, pp. 13-14 (text), and on 27 July 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 178, p. 24,234 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Divided by two lines running down from the upper corners and converging to the center of the lower edge, the lateral parts, green, and the central part, white, in the center, the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Argent a castle proper surrounded by two keys azure (blue) (Sepúlveda), 1b. Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 4. Vert (green) a bend gules (red) fimbriated or, 2. and 3. Or the angelic salutation "Ave María" in letters azure (blue), 2. Or a big oak vert (green) fructed of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.

The Royal Academy of History approved the coat of arms, based on "an extensive documentation and a well-performed study". The arms of Sepúlveda and of the Dukes of the Infantado recall the old jurisdictions over the village. The oak recalls the name of the municipality. The Academy would have preferred a less busy design, recognizing, however, that the balance of the design compensates for its complexity.
The Academy approved the proposed flag, "without any objection".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1994, 191, 3: 576-577]

Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza]

Ivan Sache, 23 July 2015