Last modified: 2016-05-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: rascafría |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rascafría - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 July 2015
The municipality of Rascafría (1,798 inhabitants in 2014; 15,027 ha; municipal website) is located in the north-west of the Community of Madrid, in the upper valley of river Lozoya, on the border with Castilla y León (Province of Segovia), 90 km of Madrid. The former municipality of Oteruelo del Valle was incorporated to Rascafría by Decree No. 3,066, adopted on 7 November 1975 by the Spanish Government and published on 27 November 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 285, p. 24,794 (text).
Rascafría is located 2 km away from the Carthusian monastery of Santa María de El Paular, established in 1391 on a Royal hunting domain. King Henry III ordered in 1406 the building of a manor where he could rest and of a church to replace the old Santa María del Pobolar chapel. The church was achieved in the 15th century, as well as the revamping of the original cloister. Privileged by the kings, the monastery declined after the building of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, while keeping 20,000 cattle heads and maintaining commercial relations all over the kingdom. In the 18th century, the monastery became independent from the Grand Charterhouse, owning pastures in Extremadura, land and buildings in Andalusia and bank interests in León and Asturias. Abandoned in 1839, the monastery was proclaimed in 1876 an historical and artistic monument. In 1954, the Spanish Government commissioned Benedictine monks in to restore monastic life in El Paular.
Ivan Sache, 21 July 2015
The flag of Rascafría (photos, photo,
photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 30 August 2001 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 24 January 2002 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 20, p. 7 (text) and on 19 March 2002 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 67, p. 11,291 (text). The flag, originally adopted on 21 March 2000 by the Municipal Council, was validated on 1 March 2001 by the Heraldry Assessors.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Diagonally divided from lower hoist to upper fly into three parts of equal width, the upper, red, the central, white, and the lower, blue. In the center is placed the crowned coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed flag.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2001, 198, 3: 567]
The coat of arms of Rascafría is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 April 1985 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 18 May 1985 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 117, p. 3 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a saltire gules, 2a. Or an elm vert, 2b. Wavy azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed [detailed description skipped]
Ivan Sache, 21 July 2015