This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Noceda del Bierzo (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: noceda del bierzo | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Noceda del Bierzo - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 4 February 2011

See also:

Presentation of Noceda del Bierzo

The municipality of Noceda del Bierzo (780 inhabitants in 2009; 7,214 ha) is located in the northwest of León Province, 110 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Noceda (capital, 573 inh.), San Justo de Cabanillas (61 inh.), Cabanillas de San Justo (41 inh.) and Robledo de las Traviesas (105 inh.).

Noceda is the home of the Noceda Idol, dating back to c. 4,000 years, found in 1971 by the prehistorian and archeologist Martín Almagro Basch (1911-1984) and kept in the Madrid National Archeological Museum. At the time, the first human settlements were organized in small fortified camps set up on heights, hillsides or river confluences.
The name of the village, derived from Latin nux, "a nut", therefore a place planted with nut trees, reflects a Roman origin. The Romans were mostly interested in the local gold mines, and the Bierzo region was massively colonized after the submission of the Cantabrian tribes (29-16 AD). Noceda was located on a Roman way, originally designed for military purpose but quickly transformed in a gold trade way; the base of a column of the San Justo parish church is indeed a milestone taken from the former Roman way.
Noceda was resettled in the 11th century; in 1063, King of León Ferdinand I granted Noceda to Ordoño, Bishop of Astorga, as a reward for the translation of St. Isidor's relics from Seville to Léon. The village was subsequently ruled by the San Isidoro monastery; on 10 June 1168, Abbot Facundo granted a charter to the villagers of Noceda.

Ivan Sache, 4 February 2011

Symbols of Noceda del Bierzo

The flag and arms of Noceda del Bierzo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 March 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 27 February 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 15 March 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 53, p. 3,506 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag with proportions 2:3, made of a blue panel with a white lozenge with its vertices in mid points of the flag's edges, charged in the middle with a green eradicated nut tree.
Coat of arms: Azure a rhomb argent charged with a nut tree vert over waves azure and argent, in chief dexter and sinister a straw hut argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown or.

Ivan Sache, 4 February 2011