This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Iruela (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2017-02-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: la iruela |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of La Iruela - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 January 2017

See also:

Presentation of La Iruela

The municipality of La Iruela (1,989 inhabitants in 2016; 12,367 ha; municipal website) is located 110 km east of Jaén and 1 km of Cazorla.The municipality is made of the town of La Iruela and of the villages of Burunchel (532 inh.), Arroyo Frío, El Palomar, El Burrueco, La Estrella, Tramaya, El Pocico, San Martín, Juntas de Muriel, and Nubla.

La Iruela is the site of the Carthaginian estate of Curris, established in 230 BC. During the Muslim period, the town was surrounded in the 11th century by a fortified wall; the old town was overlooked by a castle, today ruined.
King Ferdinand III the Saint granted the town to Rodrigo Ximénez de Rada, Archbishop of Toledo, who had reconquerred the town in 1231. In 1294, the son of Ferdinand III, Archbishop Sancho, incorporated La Iruela to Cazorla. The inhabitants of La Iruela refused to abandon their privileges, starting a long quarrel with Cazorla.
In 1366, La Iruela supported Archbishop Gómez Manrique, who took the party of Henry II, while Cazorla took the party of his rival, Peter I the Cruel. La Iruela was rewarded for its loyalty by the status of villa, awarded on 28 June 1370. The grant was cancelled on 5 August 1370 by the Archbishop, reincorporating La Iruela to Cazorla. The status of villa was reestablished in 1378 by Archbishop Pedro Tenorio. The archbishops of Toledo ruled the town until 1811 and the suppression of the feudal system.

Ivan Sache, 19 January 2017

Symbols of La Iruela

The flag of La Iruela (photo, photo) is purple with the municipal coat of arms in the center. Neither the flag nor the arms appear to have been officially registered.

The coat of arms is "Argent a cross gules cantonned in turn by two caldrons gules and two lions or."
In 1370, Archbishop Gómez Manrique granted arms to the town, quartered by a bishop's cross and cantonned with four caldrons, taken from his personal arms. In 1378, Archbishop Pedro Tenorio substituted two lions, from his coat of arms, to two of the four caldrons of the original arms.
The coat of arms of the time, found on buildings dating back to the 15th century and restored by Rufino Almansa Tallante, official Chronicler of the town, was surrounded by a bordure inscribed with "Tus armas, serán las nuestras" (Your Arms Shall be Ours).
[La Erica, 24 October 2014]

Ivan Sache, 19 January 2017