Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: gójar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Gójar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 26 September 2015
The municipality of Gójar (5,096 inhabitants in 2008; 1,200 ha; municipal website) is located 6 km of Granada.
According to Enríquez de Jorquera (Anales del Reino de Granada), Gójar was founded by the Moors at an unknown date and conquered during the campaign of the Catholic Monarchs that ended with the seizure of Granada in 1492.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2009
The flag and arms of Gójar, adopted on 24 February 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 1 March 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 7 March 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 21 March 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 54, p. 62 (text).
The flag and arms are described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 3:2 (length to hoist), divided in three horizontal stripes, the first and the third twice larger than the central, blue, white and green, respectively. In the middle of the panel the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or on fesses wavy argent and azure a mount vert with a two-pointed top charged with an olive tree or in chief two pomegranates vert faceted gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The symbols were inaugurated on 30 September 2006 (Ideal, 30 September 2006).
The waves represent river Dílar; the mount represents the hill locally known as "la boca de la pescada". The yellow olive tree and the green mount symbolize the resources in olive oil. The pomegranates (granada) represent the Kingdom of Granada.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2009