Last modified: 2019-10-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: carboneras de guadazaón |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Carboneras de Guadazaón - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019
The municipality of Carboneras de Guadazaón (785 inhabitants in 2018;
10,065 ha) is located 50 km south-east of Cuenca.
Carboneras de Guadazaón is the place of the pantheon church of the Marquesses of Moya, registered as a National Historical and Artistic Monument by Royal Decree No. 1126, signed on 6 March 1981 and published on 15 June 1981 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 142, p. 13,647 (text).
The pantheon church is the only remaining part of a Dominican convent established by the Marquesses of Moya in 1500. Standing out of the village on the road connecting Cuenca to Teruel, the church is a noted example of the Gothic style from the time of the Catholic Monarchs, with a beautiful gate kept as it was. The vault of the transept cross still stands as it was, although in a very bad state of conservation, while the remaining parts of the nave were revamped and stuccoed in the 18th century by Martín de Aldehuela. The monument keeps the tomb of its founders, Andr&ecute;s Cabrera (1430-1511) and Beatriz de Bobadilla (1440-1511), two important members of the court of the Catholic Monarchs, erected Marquesses of Moya on 2 July 1480.
Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019
The flag of Carboneras de Guadazaón is prescribed by an Order issued on
7 June 1993 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 11
June 1993 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 43, pp.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Green with the crowned municipal coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History could accept the proposed flag. The
submitted proposal included only a drawing, no textual description of
the flag. On the drawing, the coat of arms is placed over a cartouche,
inappropriate and no longer used on modern flags.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 190:2, 329. 1993]
The coat of arms of Carboneras de Guadazaón is prescribed by an Order
issued on 5 December 1989 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 26 December 1989 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 54, p. 3,734 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: 1. Gules a monstrance argent radiated or, 2. Azure three mounts sable supported by waves argent and azure. 3. Gules a castle or a ladder dexterwise. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History accepted the proposed arms. The arms
represent the monstrance of the Holy Hijuela, the toponym ("arboneras,
"charcoal kilns"), and the arms of the Marquesses of Moya.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 185:2, 396. 1988]
The first quarter shows the monstrance of the Daroca corporal, a highly
venerated relic offered by Isabel the Catholic to the Marchioness of Moya.
In 1239, the Aragonese towns of Daroca, Teruel and Catalayud allied to reconquer the Chio castle, located near Luchente, from the Moors. The chaplain, Father Mateo Martínez, celebrated a mass before the assault, with a consecrated host for each of the captains, Jiménez Pérez, Fernando Sánchez, Pedro, Raimundo, Guillermo, and Simone Carroz. A sudden attack by the Moors prompted the chaplain to postpone the mass and to hide the hosts, wrapped in the corporal, under a stone. After having repelled the assaulters, the Christian knights asked the priest to resume the mass. Mateo picked up the hosts, which were found blood-stained. The knight interpreted the miracle as God's sign and tied the corporal to a lance as their standard, which helped them to reconquer the Chio castle. The six knights, who came from different regions of Spain, all claimed the miraculous corporal. After a long discussion, it was decided to place the corporal on the back of a mule and to assign it to the town where the mule would stop. The mule walked for 12 days and fell of exhaustion in front of the St. Mark church of Daroca. A church dedicated to St. Mary was erected to keep the blood-stained corporal. The Catholic Monarchs ordered a new reliquary to keep the relic; on 25 November 1595, the Council of Daroca offered the relic to Isabel the Catholic. The relic was inherited by the Marchioness of Moya, who transferred its custody to the newly established Dominican convent of Carboneras de Guadazaón.
Extracted from the reliquary by a Napoleonic soldier, the relic was put in the monstrance that still keeps it today.
[La Santa Hijuela; Miracle eucharistique de Daruca]
Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019