Last modified: 2019-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: la granjuela |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Granjuela - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 20 September 2015
The municipality of La Granjuela (498 inhabitants in 2013; 5,615 ha; 20,019 ha) is located 90 km north-west of Córdoba.
La Granjuela was mentioned for the first time in 1579 as a hamlet of Fuente Obejuna. From 1817 to 1842, La Granjuela formed, together with the villages of Valsequillo, Los Los Blázquez, Los Prados (deserted) and Esparragosa (deserted), the municipality of Cinco Aldeas (Five Hamlets). Located close to the front line, the village was severely damaged during the Civil War, and subsequently rebuilt.
Ivan Sache, 20 September 2015
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of La Granjuela, adopted on 2 May 1995 by the Municipal Council and revised on 27 February 1996 as suggested on 11 January 1996 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 59, adopted on 18 February 1997 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 11 March 1997 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 30, pp. 2,887-2,888 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular crimson red panel, one time and a half longer (from hoist to fly) than wide. In the center is placed a reseda yellow rooster, in height 3/4 of the flag's hoist, with black comb, beard, beak and feet, and with reseda yellow claws and tongue.
Coat of arms: Gules a rooster or combed bearded and beaked sable langued and armed or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The rooster recalls the name of the place, as the most characteristic element of an estate (granja).
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]
La Granjuela previously used a totally different coat of arms, "Quarterly, 1. Argent a lion rampant gules, 2. Argent a Cross of Calatrava gules, 3. Azure a bee proper, 4. Vert a castle or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
The arms, designed by Juan Bernier Luque, were adopted on 28 June 1984 by the Municipal Council.
The coat of arms, in French style, is based on the arms of Fuente Obejuna.
The lion represents the town of Córdoba while the cross represents the Order of Calatrava. The bee stands for the old town of Mellaria, the forerunner of Fuente Obejuna, and the castle represents the castle of Toleto / Meldegollado.
The Royal Academy rejected the design and proposed on 15 March 1985 a much simpler design, "Per fess, 1. Argent a Cross of Calatrava, 2. Azure a bee or".
Juan José Antequera Lungo made a concurrent proposal, "Per pale, 1. Azure a bee or, 2. Or a Marian monogram azure a flail gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed". The second quarter represents the patron saints of the town, the Blessed Virgin and St. Isidore the Laborer.
The proposed companion flag is in proportions 11:18, quartered blue and yellow with the coat of arms in the middle.
The municipality appears to have used the rejected arms until the official adoption of the today's coat of arms.wBR> [Juan José Antequera Lungo. Heráldica oficial de la provincia de Córdoba]
Ivan Sache, 20 September 2015