Last modified: 2020-11-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: casatejada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casatejada - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The municipality of Casatejada (1,409 inhabitants in 2017; 11,182 ha) is located 110 km north-east of Cáceres and 50 km south-east of Plasencia. The municipality is made of the villages of Casatejada and Baldío (52 inh.).
Casatejada is the birth place of the botanist José Antonio Pavón (1754-1840). Sent to Madrid to assist his uncle, who was Second Apothecary of King Charles III, Pavón first studied pharmacy and then botany with Casimiro Gó,mez de Ortega (1740-1818). In 1777, he was appointed Second Botanist of the scientific expedition to Chile and Peru (1778-1788) led by Hipó,lito Ruiz (1754-1815) as the First Botanist. Back to Spain, Ruiz and Pavón initiated the publication of Flora peruviana et chiliensis (3 volumes, 1798-1802); after Ruiz' death in 1816, Pavón resumed the work in the unfavorable context of Ferdinand VII's reign. He had to sell part of his samples to English collectors, who helped him to maintain contacts with the European scientific community and to be elected in 1820 corresponding member of the Royal Linnean Society. Most of his papers and herbarium samples are kept at the Madrid Botanical Garden.
[JSTOR Global Plants]
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The flag (photo,
photo) and "rehabilitated" arms of Casatejada, adopted on 31 July 1992 by the Municipal Council and validated on 25 May 1993 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 14 June 1993 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 22 June 1993 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 73, pp. 1830-1831 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Made of a crimson panel charged with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a bust of the Virgin of Solitude sable and argent, 2. Vert a tile-roofed house (casa tejada) argent. Grafted in base, Gules atiara and keys or and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Solitude was erected in the 15th century to keep a statue of the Virgin designed in the 16th century, probably in a Madrid workshop. The status stands in a baroque altarpiece also dated to the 16th century.
The legend says that the oxen pulling the cart transporting the statue from Plasencia stopped when crossing Casatejeda. Since it was impossible to move them away, the villagers understood that the Virgin wanted the statue to stay among them. Transported to the parish church, the statue "walked" back to the cart. After the miracle was repeated for eveal days, the villagers decided to build a chapel on the site indicated by the statue.
Our Lady of Solitude (Nuestra Señora de la Soledad)is a special form of Marian devotion practiced in Spanish-speaking countries to commemorate the solitude of Mary on Holy Saturday. The title originates with Queen Joanna the Mad lamenting the death of her husband Philip I in 1506.
The tiara and keys are the attributes of St. Peter, for which the San Pedro ad Vincula parish and church was named. Initiated in Romanesque style, the rectangular church is mostly composed of a Gothic single nave and main chapel achieved at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, and of a five-storeyed tower.
The church was declared a Monument of Cultural Interest by Decree No. 536 issued on 25 February 1965 by the Spanish Government and published on 13 March 1965 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 62, p. 3,887 (text).
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020