Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: medina de pomar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Medina de Pomar - Image by "Ayuntamiento Medina de Pomar" (Wikimedia Commons), modified, 3 March 2011
The municipality of Medina de Pomar (6,311 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 5th most populous municipality in the Province of Burgos by its population; 20,578 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of Province of Burgos, 100 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the town of Medina de Pomar (capital) and of the villages of Angosto, Bóveda de la Ribera (23 inh.), Bustillo de Medina (22 inh.), La Cerca (16 inh.), Criales, Miñón (34 inh.), Momediano (19 inh.), Návagos (24 inh.), Oteo, Paresotas (20 inh.), Pérex de Losa (27 inh.), Rosío (1 inh.), Salinas de Rosío (22 inh.), Santurde (35 inh.), Torres de Medina (41 inh.), Villamezán (9 inh.), Villamor (9 inh.), and Villatomil (26 inh.).
Medina de Pomar was the stronghold of the Velasco family, of
Cantabrian origin. On 11 January 1313, Sancho Sánchez de Velasco and his wife Sancha García, Camarera Mayor of Queen Leonor of Aragón,
founded in "Medina de Pumar" the Santa Clara monastery. This
foundation is the evidence that the Velasco had decided to make of
Medina de Pomar their capital. The building of the monastery was
completed in 1532 only, while the church was revamped in 1580-1610.
Pedro Fernández de Velasco was made lord of Medina de Pomar in 1370 by King Henry II, as a reward for his support during the war against
Peter the Cruel, Henry's half-brother. Velasco built the Alcázar
(fortified palace), locally known as "The Towers" as a reference to
its two square crenelated towers, of slightly different height, linked
by a lower, narrower main body.
In 1473, Pedro Fernández III de Velasco y Manrique de Lara (1425-1492) was appointed the 6th Constable of Castile by King Henry IV, a title that was inherited by eight of his descendants until suppressed in 1723. Bernardino Fernández de Velasco y Mendoza, 7th Constable of Castile, was made the first Duke of Frías on 20 March 1492. The Alcázar was offered in 1896 by the Duke of Frías to the municipality of Medina del Pomar.
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2011
The flag and arms of Medina de Pomar are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 12 January 1995 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 26 January 1995 by the President of the Government, and published on
7 February 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 26 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag of 2 m in height on 3 m on length, made of two scalene triangles, separated by a diagonal line running from the upper hoist angle to the lower opposed angle. This division charged with a blue stripe of 2:10 in height with wavy edges. The upper triangle argent, the lower triangle gules. In the last third of the stripe argent is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure, 2. Argent an apple tree eradicated proper fructed gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The arms must be canting. A medina is a traditional, usually fortified, Arabic town. pomar means in Spanish "an apple orchard".
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2011