This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Aranda de Duero (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: aranda de duero |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Aranda de Duero - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 7 January 2014

See also:

Presentation of Aranda de Duero

The municipality of Aranda de Duero (33,459 inhabitants in 2009, therefore the 3rd most populous municipality in the province; 12,728 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Province of Burgos, 90 km of Burgos.

Aranda de Duero was mentioned for the first time in 1088 in the acts of the Council of Husillos. Aranda means "a wide plain". In the 13th century, the town was made a Royal domain (realengo) by King Sancho IV, a privilege confirmed by Peter I. The inhabitants never gave up this privilege, for instance during the youth of Ferdinand IV when Diego López de Haro attempted to take control of Aranda. A Council gathered by Archbishop Alfonso Carrillo was held in 1473 in the St. John church of the town.
Aranda de Duero has an extended network of underground wine cellars, whose building started in the late 12th - early 13th century. Located 10-14 m under the ground level, the galleries spread over more than 7 km; temperature (9-11 °C) and humidity are particularly suitable for the elaboration of wine. The galleries link 135 (once 300) cellars.

Ivan Sache, 7 February 2014

Symbols of Aranda de Duero

The flag of Aranda de Duero, approved on 8 February 1993 by the Municipal Council, is light blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle (photo, photo). The colour of the flag's field is the same as on the coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Aranda de Duero is "Azure a three-arched bridge or ensigned with a tower of the same masoned sable port and windows gules flanked by two lions or in base waves azure. The shield placed on a cartel or with leaves vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open."

Ivan Sache, 7 February 2014