Last modified: 2020-10-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: quintana de la serena |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Quintana de la Serena - Image by Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020
The municipality of Quintana de la Serena (4,597 inhabitants in 2019; 11,530 ha; municipal website) is located 150 km east of Badajoz and 20 km north-west of Castuera.
Quintana de la Serena was first settled in the Chalcolithic, as evidenced by the schematic rock paintings of San José. A funerary stele dated to the Age of Iron was found on the municipal territory. In the pre-Roman period (2nd-1st centuries BC), different fortified villages were established along river Ortigas, the Hinovejo-1 citadel was probably intended to defend the mines of argentiferous galena of the basin of Castuera. They were succeeded by Roman villas while the territory was crossed by a Roman road, whose remains were found in Hinovejo and Cuerda Gorda.
Reconquerred from the Moors in 1232 by the Order of Alcántara, Quintana was organized as a settlement in the 15th century. Quintana was granted the status of villa by Philip II in 1595, separating from Campanario.
Quintana is known as Granite Town, due to the word-famous "gris Quintana" granite extracted from the open-air quarries that surround the town. The granite was used to rebuild the Roman bridge of Mérida in the 1950s and the seat of the Bank of Spain in Cáceres/
Nearly 50% of emploiement in Quintana is dedicated to industry, Quinatana being therefore the most industrialized town in Extremadura. Grainte is extracted by 17 companies and distributed by another five.
[Hoy, 20 September 2009]
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020
The flag of Quintana de la Serena (photo,
photo) was adopted, unanimously, on 23 June 2018 by the Municipal Council.
The flag is described as follows (Hoy, 23 June 2016):
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. A white stripe (in width 1/5 the flag's width) running from the hoist's lower angle to the fly's upper angle; the upper triangle, at hoist, blue, the lower triangle, at fly, green. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
The coat of arms of Quintana de la Serena, adopted on 31 January 2005 by the Municipal Council and validated on 21 April 2005 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 28 April 2005 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 21 May 2005 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 58, pp. 6,930-6,931 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a Cross of the Order of Alcántara. A chief azure a sledgehammer and a pick or handled argent in saltire superimposed by a mace of the same in pale. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020