Last modified: 2020-10-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: nogales |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Nogales (682 inhabitants in 2017; 8,066 ha) is located 50 km south-east of Badajoz and 40 km south-west of Almendralejo.
Nogales was established in 1340, following an agreement between Lorenzo Vázquez de la Fuentseca and King Alfonso XI. The king subsequently transferred the village to Pedro Carillo, who sold it to Enrique Enríquez el Mozo. The owner had to retrocede the village in 1344 because he could not pay the sale; his descendants sold Nogales to Gomes, the son of the Master of the Order of Saint James, Lorenzo Suárez de Figueroa, 1st lord of Feria.
On 30 May 1448, the village was relocated uphill around the castle. Nogales served as a strategic post of watch of the border with Portugal. The castle is defended by a quadrangular towe of 13 m in side and 35 m in height.
[Badajoz Provincial Council]
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020
The flag of Nogales, adopted on 12 April 2005 by the Municipal Council and validated on 23 March 2006 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, is prescribed by an Order adopted on 27 March 2006 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 8 April 2006 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 42, pp. 6,231-6,232 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, yellow with a red bend running from the hoist's upper corner to the fly's lower corner, in width 1/5 of the panel's width. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Nogales, adopted on 31 January 1991 by the Municipal Council and revised on 20 February 1992 following recommendations issued on 28 January 1992 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, which eventually validated it on 31 March 1992, is prescribed by an Order adopted on 4 Paril 1992 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 16 April 1992 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 30, pp. 636-637 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure. A bordure argent seven leaves of nut tree vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History found "no contradiction for good practice" in the proposed flag. Since the design includes a coat of arms approved by the Government of Extremadura, the proposed flag has to follow the same evaluation process.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 203:2, 197. 2006]
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2020