Last modified: 2020-10-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: garlitos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Garlitos - Image by Ivan Sache, 15 March 2020
The municipality of Garlitos (587 inhabitants in 2019; 12,930 ha; municipal website) is located 215 km east of Badajoz and 70 km south of Herrera del Duque.
Garlitos is the oldest settlement in the Siruela area. The Romans exploited mines, as evidenced by the remains that yielded the town the nickname of "Minerva's Town". Eight Roman funerary steles were re-used in subsequent buildings: six in the walls of the Nazareth chapel, erected probably in the 13the century on the alleged site of a Visigothic basilica and a temple dedicated to Cybele, one on the facade of the old Town Hall, and one on the facade of a private house.
The Arab occupation is documented by the remains of the Minerva castle. After the seizure of the Capilla castle in 1226, the Christians established a Templar domain in the area; the foundation of the town of Garlitos probably dates from this period.
After the suppression of the Templars in 1307 by Pope Clement V, the domain was successively owned by different lords; in 1382, Diego López de Staúñiga acquired most of it and established the domain of Capilla, composed of Capilla (capital), Garlitos, Peñalsordo, Zarza Capilla, Baterno and Risco. The domain was ruled by the Dukes of Béjar and the Dukes of Osuna.
Garlitos separated from Capilla in 1635.
Ivan Sache, 15 March 2020
The flag and arms of Garlitos, adopted on 14 January 1994 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 July 1994 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 5 July 1994 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 4 August 1994 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 90, pp. 2,924-2,925 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3., with two equal horizontal stripes, the upper white and the lower red, a green triangle placed along the hoist. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. A bend sable inscribed 'MAGNAE DEAE MATRI' argent cantonned with a lion's head argent and a wheel of the same, 2. Azure a fish trap argent surrounded by two fish of the same over waves azure and argent. A bordure or five branches of olive vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
"Magnae Deae Matri" is the Latin personifiaction of Cybele, "Great Mother Goddess". The garlito fish trap makes the arms canting.
Ivan Sache, 15 March 2020