Last modified: 2020-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: casas de don pedro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casas de Don Pedro - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020
The municipality of Casas de Don Pedro (1,439 inhabitants in 2019; 14,270 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Province of Cáceres, 160 km east of Badajoz and 50 km south-west of Herrera del Duque.
Casas de Don Pedro was already settled in the Roman times, as evidenced by coins, vase scraps, mosaic tiles etc. jept in the Cáceres Provincial Museum.
Stone coats of arms featuring the Cross of Alcántara found on house's facades indicate that the town belonged in the 12th and 13th centuries to the Order of Alcántara, which organized its resettlement.
In 1314, Casas de Don Pedro was listed as a possession of Puebla de Alcocer, then owned by Diego García de Toledo, Majordomo of Infante Don Pedro, the probable town's namesake. Granted to Bernart de Cabrera in 1344, Casas de Don Pedro was transfered in 1445 by John II to Gutierre de Sotomayor, Grand Master of the Order of Alcántara. His descendants, the Counts of Belalcázar became lords of Casas de Don Pedro. Among them, Alfonso II de Sotomayor married in 1497 Isabel de Castro, member of the Portuguese royal family, while Francisco I de Sotomayor married in 1518 Teresa de Zúñiga, the heiress of the Duchy of Béjar, and became the 3rd Duke of Béjar.
Juan Manuel Diego López de Zúñiga, Duke of Béjar, allowed the ihabitants of Casas de Don Pedro in 1731 to apply for the status of villa, which was granted on 23 February 1733 by Philip V.
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020
The flag of Casas de Don Pedro, adopted on 29 October 2002 by the Municipal Council and validated on 8 May 2003 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, is prescribed by an Order issued on 12 May 2003 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 24 May 2003 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 60, p. 7,514 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of three horizontal stripes each in proportions 1:3, the upper, white, the central, red, and the lower, green. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
The coat of arms of Casas de Don Pedro, adopted on 10 July 1985 by the Municipal Council and validated on 10 January 1986 by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by an Order issued on 16 January 1986 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 11 February 1986 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 12, p. 143 (text)
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a bend sable orled by a chain or with eight links, 1b. Argent the three most famous checquy fesses of Sotomayor, 2. Gules two keys or tied by a link of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020