This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Barbones Parish (El Oro, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2015-01-23 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: el oro | el guabo | guabo | barbones |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Ivan Sache, 04 January 2015

See also:


The rural parish of Barbones (5,707 inhabitants in 2010) is part of El Guabo canton, El Oro province.
Barbones was once an estate owned by Fabriciano Pizarro, who sold it to Samuel Quimi, Aurelio Valarezo, and another Quimi. A chapel was erected on a plot offered by Feliciano Pérez, while the school was erected in 1934-1936 on a plot offered by Luis Espinoza. During war fought in 1941 against Peru, the Peruvian established a military camp in Barbones, forcing the villagers to exile to Guayaquil unit the end of the war.
The parish of Barbones, established on 13 June 1949 by the Municipal Council of Machala, was validated by Ministerial Decree No. 487, published on 15 July 1950 in the Official Register, No. 586. The parish was inaugurated on 6 August 1950 and transferred on 7 September 1978 to the newly established El Guabo canton.
Two traditions explain the origin of the name of Barbones, lit. "Bearded Men". In the past, local people going to the place used to say "_vamos a donde los Barbones_" (We are heading to the bearded men's place), referring either to the bearded inhabitants of the place or to big, "bearded" trees without leaves.
Ivan Sache, 04 January 2015

The Flag

The flag of Barbones is divided into three horizontal stripes. The upper stripe is green, the lower stripe is red, while the middle stripe is vertically divided into two equals parts, blue and white, respectively.
Source: - Parish website
Ivan Sache, 04 January 2015