Last modified: 2014-05-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: canar | biblian |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke and Falko Schmidt, 1 July 2007
The image is based on the website
of the Association of the Ecuadorian Municipalities.
Falko Schmidt, 1 July 2007
Flag (the Previous Flag), Coat
of Arms and legislation at Consejo
Provincial del Cañar site. Adoption date is 25 April 1955.
Falko Schmidt, 26 November 2003
Translated from Consejo
Provincial del Cañar site:
"Municipal Decree of 25 April 1955.
Article 2. - Flag
The flag of the canton is made of two equal horizontal stripes; the first stripe, yellow, symbolizes the agricultural and mineral resources, while the second stripe, blue, expresses the transparency of the sky and of the soul of the inhabitants. In the middle, four stars represents the parishes of the canton, Biblián, Nazón, Turupamba and San Francisco de Sageo.
The coat of arms [described in Article 1] shall be used on the official correspondence of the municipality and the flag in all the official acts."
The website of the Association of the Ecuadorian Municipalities states that the municipal flag and coat of arms were designed by Luís Manuel Carpio Flores, then the President of the Municipal Council. The same source shows the flag with five stars. The written description of the flag is the same as above, with "five" instead of "four" stars.
The provincial website lists five parishes, with sources dated 1999 and 2001: Biblián, Nazón, Sageo, Turupamba and Jerusalén ("of recent creation").
It is quite clear that the flag was changed after the creation of the new province, although there is no hint of an updated (or brand new) Decree prescribing the new flag.
Ivan Sache, 11 October 2008
image by Falko Schmidt, 26 November 2003
image from Consejo Provincial del Cañar site, located by Falko Schmidt, 26 November 2003