This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nordenham City (Germany)

Stadt Nordenham, Landkreis Wesermarsch, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: nordenham | demi-eagle | bar(red) | cross(moline) | anchor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Nordenham city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2007
approved 20 December 1952 See also:

Current Flag

Description of current flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a red over yellow over blue horizontal tricolour. The coat of arms is in the middle of the yellow stripe.
Sources: Stefan Schwoon's database and this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2007

Coat of Arms

[Nordenham city CoA] image located by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2017

Description of coat of arms:
Shield parted per pale; in centre over all an inescutcheon Argent, charged with a fowl anchor sable in bend sinister; at dexter Or a demi-eagle Sable, couped per pale and armed Gules; at sinister quartered of Or and Azure, in quarters 1 and 4 two bars Gules, in quarters 2 and 3 a cross Moline fitchy Or.
Nordenhamm was the name of an estate, which was merged in 1908 with the village of Atens. The new municipality was renamed Nordenham and gained city rights in the same year by the Grand-Duke of Oldenburg. The arms are combining the modified eagle of Eastern Frisia (Ostfriesland) and the arms of the Grand-Duchy of Oldenburg. The anchor is a distinguishing mark and symbolising the harbour.
The arms were approved on 16 January 1912, the flag on 20 December 1952.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.62
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 July 2007

back to Wesermarsch cities and municipalities click here.