Last modified: 2016-10-02 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: jena | st. michael | dragon | inescutcheon | lion(black) | grapes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
The flag is blue-yellow-white with the arms.
Source: Ulle 1999
Stefan Schwoon, 18 Feb 2001
The arms were officially granted on September 16, 1992, but are much older. The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city, dating from 1382. The arms show the local patron saint St. Michael, killing a dragon. The inescutcheon with the lion was added, when the city became a possession of the Counts of Thüringen and is derived from the arms of the Counts of Meissen. The inescutcheon in base is the actual coat of arms of the city, which was used as such since the 15th century. This small shield was added to the composition in 1992, but already appeared as part of the inescutcheon in the 1930s.
Source: Ralf Hartemink's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Oct 2016
back to index of Thuringia county-free cities and counties page click here