This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Segeberg County (Germany)

Kreis Segeberg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: segeberg county | towers(4) | inescutcheon | water lily(leaves/4) | nettle leaf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Segeberg County flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Dec 2007 See also: External link:

Segeberg County

Segeberg county has an area of 1.344,34 km2, with a population of 256.166. On 1 January 2013 it consisted of 5 cities, 2 municipalities and another 88 municipalities in 8 subcounties (Ämter). Seat: Bad Segeberg city.

Segeberg County Flag

Description of flag: The ratio is 3:5. It is a white flag limited by two red horizontal stripes on the top- and bottom-edge. In the white stripe is the coat of arms without shield.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Jan 2013

Segeberg County Arms

[Segeberg County CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 12 Dec 2007 Description of coat of arms: The shield is silver (= white). Four red towers with pitched roofs, all masoned silver (= white) form a cross. The intersection of both crossbars is superimposed by a red inescutcheon displaying a silver (= white) nettle leaf. The cross is flanked by four green leaves of water lily. Meaning: In 1867 Prussia established Segeberg County, then consisting of Segeberg City, Segeberg Subcounty, Traventhal Subcounty and parts of the subcounties (Ämter) of Trittau, Tremsbüttel, Reinfeld and Plön, the Lordship of Breitenburg, Armstedt, a subdistrict (Vogtei) of the monastery in Itzehoe, finally 15 manor districts. A few more municipalities were added in 1932 after the dissolution of Bordesholm County. Finally due to the foundation of the city of Norderstedt the former municipalities of Garstedt, Glashütte and Harksheide were incorporated, as parts of Norderstedt however. The towers are representing the so called "Vicelin churches". The cross-shape is symbolizing the completion of Christening of the area. Vicelin was a missionary, converting the Slavic tribes in the Wagrien Region to Christianity. He also initiated the erection of the "Sigeburg " - an important fortification to protect church and monastery in Segeberg - which had been completed by Emperor Lothar of Süpplingenburg in 1134. The leaves are taken from the 14th century arms of the burgers (Burgmannen) of the von Segeberg family, while the inescutcheon is alluding to the counts of Schauenburg-Holstein who ruled the area from 1273 until 1316. Sources: Reißmann 1997, p.32 and Stadler 1964, p.82

The flag was approved on 25 November 1977. The coat of arms was approved on 25 October 1948. The artist is Georg Fink from Lübeck.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Jan 2013

back to index page of Schleswig-Holstein counties, cities and municipalities click here.