This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Engstingen (Germany)

Gemeinde Engstingen, Kreis Reutlingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: engstingen | ibex | attire |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Engstingen municipal banner] image by Jörg Majewski, 20 Apr 2013
approved 19 January 1978 See also:

Municipality of Engstingen

Engstingen Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of banner:
It is a white - black vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Sources: Stefan Schwoon's database and
""Wappenbuch - Die St ädte- und Gemeindewappen im Landkreis Reutlingen" , Münsingen-Rietheim, 2001
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 May 2013

Engstingen Municipal Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a black shield is a silver (= white), rampant ibex. The shield had a golden (= yellow) chief superimposed by a black attire.
he former municipality of Großengstingen had the same arms, but without the chief with attire. Großengstingen became a possession of the Bishopric of Chur in 937 together with Honau. After having been ruled by different noblemen in 1637 the bishopric established the Lordship of Großengstingen under its direct control. Between 1717 and 1750 the lordship belonged to the monastery of Zwiefalten and finally became a part of Württemberg in 1750. Kleinengstingen had already been a possession of Württemberg in the 15th century. Around 1650 the arms with the ibex were granted to Großengstingen by Balthasar of Schönberg, the administrator (Obervogt) of the Bishop of Chur. It was a differentiation of the arms of the bishopric in counterchanged colours. The attire is symbolizing the sovereignty of Württemberg over the whole territory of the current municipality after 1751. On 1 January 1975 Groß- and Kleinengstingen merged with Kohlstetten forming the new municipality of Engstingen.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.46 and Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg

Banner and coat of arms were approved on 19 January 1978 by the county administration, published in GABl 328/1979. Before the arms of Großengstingen had been confirmed in 1929.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 May 2013

back to Reutlingen cities and municipalities click here