Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: walluf | parted per fess | wheel | crosslet | initial |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
established on 1 October 1971 by merging of Niederwalluf and Oberwalluf.
banner approved about 1976
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 19 Aug 2006
Shield parted per fess, above Gules, two 6-spokes wheels Argent in fess, connected by a crosslet Argent, beneath Argent, a capital "W" Gules.
The arms are those of former Niederwalluf municipality. The seals of its local council just displayed an initial "W" from the 16th century until 1739. This pattern was also displayed in the county council hall in Rüdesheim in 1895. Court seals however displayed since 1740 a half length portrait of St. John the Baptist with Paschal Lamb upon book and a crozier. St. John is patron saint of the local parish church at least since 1314. In 1914 a draft was adopted as follows: shield Argent, at dexter the two wheels Gules connected by a crosslet of the same, at sinister a red initial "W", based on a carving within the church from 1576. The current pattern was introduced in 1950. The double wheel is symbolising, that the village had been a dominion of the Archbishopric of Mainz until 1802.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.71
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 May 2017
back to Rheingau-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here