Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: kiedrich | parted per pale | tower | wheel(double) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 22 March 1982
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 20 Aug 2006
Shield parted per pale, at dexter Argent a tower Gules with two annexed turrets of the same, at sinister Gules two 6-spokes wheels Argent in pale connected by a crosslet of the same.
The combination of tower and wheels has been used since the early 15th century on seals and boundary stones. The tower or church is derived from the arms of the medieval Lord of Kederich (known from 1391). The castle has been referred to as symbolising donjon of the local Scharfenstein castle. The sinister half displays the wheels of Mainz, as the area belonged to the Archbishopric of Mainz until 1802. In the 19th century, when the town was part of Hessen-Nassau, the wheels of Mainz were no longer used. The wheels are now placed in the left half, but have also been placed in the right half and both symbols have also been used in an undivided field.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.55
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2017
back to Rheingau-Taunus Cities and Municipalities Page click here