Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: osterholz(county) | peat ship | key |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 3 Jan 2008
Flag adopted 15 July 1997
The arms were granted on April 25, 1936.
The district was originally ruled by the Bishops of Bremen, in 1648 it became a possession of the Swedish Kings and later it was part of the Kingdom of Hannover. The key in the lower part of the arms is taken from the arms of Bremen. The area used to be a marshland, which in the course of the centuries was drained and cultivated. The ship in the arms symbolises the peat ships that were used during the 19th century.
Literature: Stadler 1964, p.71
Source: Ralf Hartemink's webpage
back to County and Municipal Flags (Lower Saxony / Niedersachsen) click here