This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Aitrang Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Aitrang, Landkreis Ostallgäu, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-09-20 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: aitrang | parted per pale | crozier | rim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Aitrang municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2020
See also:

Aitrang Municipality

Aitrang Banner

It is a blue-white-red vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2020

Aitrang Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter parted per fess of Gules and Azure, at sinister Argent an abbot's crozier Gules flanked by two rims addorsed Azure.
Aitrang had been an Imperial Bailiwick of St. Mang Abbey, which owned large estates in the village since 1218 and the low level cognisance since 1227. The abbey was under the empire's protection since 1218, granted by German King Friedrich II. The bailiwick was pawned various times and became a dominion of the Princely Abbey of Kempten in 1524. The dexter half refers to Kempten Abbey. The crozier is alluding to its abbot Sebastian of Breitenstein (1522 bis 1535), who granted the first court seal. The rims are taken from his personal arms.
Sources: Aegidius Kolb and Ewald Kohler (editors): "Ostallgäu, Einst und Jetzt", Marktoberdorf 1984, pp.1033-1038 and Klemens Stadler and Friedrich Zollhoefer: "Wappen der schwäbischen Gemeinden", Kempten 1952, pp. 28,-29
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2020

The banner was approved and the arms were confirmed on 13 October 1983 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Schwaben. According to the municipality however there is no banner in use
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 Sep 2020

back to Ostallgäu cities and municipalities click here