This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wächtersbach City (Germany)

Stadt Wächtersbach, Main-Kinzig-Kreis, Darmstadt District, Hesse

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: waechtersbach | sentinel | wolf trap | base(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wächtersbach city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 July 2006
approved 17 March 1978 See also:

Wächtersbach City

It is a blue-white-blue vertical triband with white fimbriation and ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
inhabitants: 12.380
Main-Kinzig County
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 17 March 1978
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 19 July 2006

Coat of Arms

Shield Azure with base wavy Argent charged with two bars Sable; a sentinel Argent in clad armour holding a halberd of the same by his right hand, accompanied at sinister by a wolf trap Argent.
Wächtersbach gained city rights in 1404 from the Lords of Isenburg, the former rulers. Their Wächtersbach branch resided here since 1685. The former arms first appear on a sculpture at the local fortification in 1742 and also on the oldest known city seal from the 18th century. Those arms already displayed the canting sentinel (German: Wächter) between a tower at dexter, representing the city, and a tree at sinister, representing the local forests. The tinctures were fixed by Otto Hupp (around 1925). Already in 1836 it was considered to change the arms by adding the arms of the Isenburg kin. This happened in the new arms in 1982, when the tinctures were simplified. The sentinel was kept. The base wavy is another canting element standing for the suffix "Bach" (= creek). The bars are taken from the arms of the Lords of Isenburg, who had ruled the villages of Hesseldorf, Weilers, Wittgenborn, Waldensberg and Leisenwald. Aufenau and Neudorf are represented by the wolf trap, taken from the arms of the Forstmeister of Gelnhausen family, who ruled the villages for a long time.
Sources: Stadler 1967, p.89 and Ralf Hartemink's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 May 2017

back to Main-Kinzig Cities and Municipalities Page click here