This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Lauterberg in Harz City (Germany)

Stadt Bad Lauterberg im Harz, Landkreis Göttingen, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad lauterberg | lion(passant) | lion(yellow) | embattled | bar(red) | chequered | star(6-point) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Bad Lauterberg  in Harz city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 25 Sep 2017 See also:

Current Flag

It is a red over yellow horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the hoist.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Sep 2017

Current Banner

[Bad Lauterberg  in Harz city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 25 Sep 2017

It is a red-yellow-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:3:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the yellow stripe.
Source: image provided by Jörg Majewski
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Sep 2017

Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess embattled; above Gules, a lion passant guardant Or, armed and tongued Azure; beneath Or four bars Gules.
The former municipalities of Lauterberg, Barbis, Bartolfelde and Osterhagen had been a founded by the Counts of Lutterberg. The current arms are based on their family seal from the 13th century. The embattled line of partition is referring to the castles of Scharzfels and Lutterberg, today both located in the city. Each bar is representing one of the municipalities mentioned above.
The arms were approved on 18 January 1974.
Source: German WIKIPEDIA
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Sep 2017

Former Coat of Arms

[Bad Lauterberg  in Harz city CoA 1951] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Sep 2017

Shield quartered, 1st and 4th quarter barry of six of Or and Gules, 2nd quarter chequered of nine of Gules and Argent, 3rd quarter Argent a facetted 6-point star Gules.
Bad Lauterberg gained city rights in 1929. There is evidence of a town seal made in the 17th century and proven at least since 1737. It displays the former arms as an inescutcheon under a half length portrait of St. Andrew, the local patron saint. The 1st and 4th quarters displayed the family arms of the Counts of Lutterberg, the 2nd quarter those of the Counts of Hohenstein, being local rulers until 1398 and furthermore local rulers of Bad Sachsa from 1402 until 1593. The star in the 3rd quarter probably is a local symbol. According to source there existed also a red over yellow bicolour.
The inescutcheon was confirmed as city arms in 1951 by the local council.
Source: Stadler 1970, p.19
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 25 Sep 2017

back to Göttingen cities and municipalities click here.