Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: gernsheim | wheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a red-white-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:3:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 12 March 1953
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 13 June 2006
Shield Gules, a 6-spoked wheel Argent.
The city of Gernsheim was a possession of the Imperial Abbey of Lorch until 1232 and afterwards of the Archbishopric of Mainz until 1802 and gained city rights in 1356. The oldest seal with prints since 1363 displayed already the wheel of Mainz in proper colours. All later seals and boundary stones have displayed the wheel, which officially was approved as arms in 1925.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.38
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 Apr 2017
back to Groß-Gerau Cities and Municipalities Page click here