This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wietmarschen Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Wietmarschen, Landkreis Grafschaft Bentheim, Lower Saxony

Last modified: 2017-08-27 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wietmarschen | bulrush | fleur-de-lis(yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wietmarschen municipal flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 Aug 2017
See also:

Wietmarschen Municipality

Wietmarschen Flag

It is a red over yellow bicolour with centred arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 Aug 2017

Wietmarschen Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, two bulrushes Or, in central chief a fleur-de-lis Or.
The bulrushes are alluding to the fact that Wietmarschen is located on the edge of a swamp, embossing the character of the landscape. The fleur-de-lis is an attribute of St.Mary, patron saint of the Benedictian monastery of Sünte Marienrode, the predecessor of the municipality, first mentioned in 1152 and founded by Knight Hugo of Büren, who came from the Dutch village of Betuwe. Red and yellow are the colours of the Counts of Bentheim. Wietmarschen became a part of Lingen County on 1 March 1974. But due to heavy local resistance it came back to Grafschaft Bentheim County on 1 August 1977.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 Aug 2017

back to Grafschaft Bentheim cities and municipalities click here.