Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ober-moerlen | chevron | moor(head) | wheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a white-red-white vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The white stripes are divided by a vertical red line. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 7 May 1986
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 3 June 2006
Shield Argent, three chevrons Gules, in chief two moor's heads Proper, in base a 6-spokes wheel Gules.
The chevrons are taken from the arms of the Lords of Eppstein. According to common court seals of Ober-Mörlen and Unter-Mörlen from 1541 and 1641 we have evidence that the Eppstein kin had been former rulers of the area. Both moor's heads - in German "Mohr" is a synonym for a negro, a Moor would have been called a "Maure" - are canting elements representing the both villages. "Morle" is a local expression for a negro's head. The wheel in base is representing the Archbishopric of Mainz. The Lords of Eppstein owned both villages and the seals of the 16th and 17th centuries of both villages are identical, the arms of Eppstein and a small Moor's head. The seal from 1571 displayed the wheel above and just one moor's head below together with the motto "VERITAS" (= truth). The last common seal of both villages from 1716 displayed the same pattern. The present arms were devised in the late 1960's rearranging the elements of former seals.
The arms were approved on 17 July 1967.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.71
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2017
back to Wetterau Cities and Municipalities Page click here