This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Wernau (Neckar) (Germany)

Stadt Wernau (Neckar), Kreis Esslingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wernau(neckar) | bend | balls(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wernau (Neckar) city banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Jun 2013
approved 26 October 1966 See also:

City of Wernau (Neckar)

Wernau (Neckar) City Banner

Description of banner:
It is a black - white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon provided a flyer of the local tourist board displaying a flag image.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Jun 2013

Wernau (Neckar) City Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The silver (= white) shield is divided by a black bend, which is superimposed by three golden (= yellow) balls.
The municipality gained city rights in 1968. Wernau was established in 1938, when the municipalities of Pfauhausen and Steinbach were united. It was named after the Lords of Wernau, who died out in 1696, and to whom both former municipalities belonged. The new municipality adopted in 1938 the arms of the former Lords of Wernau as its proper arms. Both former municipalities were first mentioned in 1275. Pfauhausen became a possession of the Lords of Wernau as vassals of the Counts of Württemberg in the 15th century. After a brief intermezzo under the Bishopric of Speyer it belonged again to Württemberg since 1806. Steinbach had been a manor district, ruled by the Dukes of Teck. Afterwards it was as a condominion also under the rule of the Lords of Wernau until 1687. In 1805 it became a part of Württemberg.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.112

The banner was approved on 26 October 1966 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg, published in GABl 129/1967. The coat of arms was approved on 17 November 1938 by Reichsstatthalter of Württemberg and confirmed on 1 April 1968 by minister of interior of Baden-Württemberg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Jun 2013

back to Esslingen cities and municipalities click here