This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Landau County until 1972 (Niederbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Landau

Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis landau | landau county | coat of arms: chief (lozengy) | coat of arms: chief (bavaria) | coat of arms (lion: white) | coat of arms (lion: rampant) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Landau County until 1972 (Niederbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 21st May 1959, flag adopted 17th March 1960, abolished 30th June 1972

See also:


White-red-white, adopted 17.03.1960. The county merged with Dingolfing during the 1972 municipal reform to form Dingolfing-Landau county. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 13 July 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on May 21, 1959.

The upper part of the arms shows the arms of Bavaria, as some parts of the districts already belong to Bavaria since 1224. The lower part shows the arms of one of the major noble families in the 14th century, the Counts of Leonberg. These arms are canting (Leonberg = lion mountain).

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 18 June 2003