This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Mannheim (Germany)

Stadt Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: mannheim | tricolour | wolf trap | lion(golden) | crowned |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Mannheim plain banner] image by Stefan Schwoon, 4 Mar 2001 See also:

City of Mannheim

Mannheim Plain Banner

Description of banner:
According to Stadler the banner is blue-white-red (evidence since 1613).
Source: Stadler 1971, p.69
Stefan Schwoon, 4 Mar 2001

Editor's note: read the explanation about Stadler 1964-1971 in introduction to German civic flags.Jarig Bakker

Mannheim Vertical Flag with Coat of Arms

[Mannheim vertical flag] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Mar 2013

Description of flag:
It is a light blue over white over red horizontal tricolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the white stripe.
Source: photo in Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Mar 2013

Mannheim Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale into gold (= yellow) and black. The dexter half displays a red wolf trap. The sinister half displays a golden (= yellow), rampant, double queued lion, crowned, armed and tongued red.
The village became a possession of the Palatine Count of the Rhine in 1250. The importance of the village increased due to the existence of Eichelsheim castle, erected in order to encash the toll. A court seal existed since the middle of the 15th century (existence of prints proven since 1510). They displayed lion and lozenges of the Wittelsbach kin. This pattern remained also, after the village had gained full city rights in 1652. Since the 18th century the wolf trap was added, probably just a distinguishing mark first known in 1659 from a boundary stone. After Mannheim had become a possesssion of Baden (probably after 1803) wolf trap and lion prevailed.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.69

The coat of arms was confirmed by the Grand Duke of Baden in 1896. The colours of the flag were used since 1613.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Mar 2013

back to Baden-Württemberg counties and municipalities click here