Last modified: 2013-12-09 by german editorial team
Keywords: berlin | bezirk kreuzberg | stadtbezirk kreuzberg | kreuzberg district | coat of arms: parted per pale (cross: counterchanged) | coat of arms (cross: formy) | crown: mural (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 | stripes 1+3+1
by Jens Pattke, coat-of-arms by Gunnar Staack
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 23rd July 1956, abolished 31st December 2000
Coat-of-arms and flag officially adopted 23rd July 1956, first published 27th June 1956. Source: vectorial coat-of-arms image by Gunnar Staack. Flag and coat-of-arms were valid until 31st December 2000. The districts of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg merged on 1st January 2001 into the new district Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg.
Kreuzberg means in English "mountain with a cross". The coat-of-arms of Kreuzberg is thus canting arms. The cross symbolizes a monument created by the German architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1781-1841), dedicated to the victims of the German War of Liberation against Napoleonic rule, placed on the highest mountain in Kreuzberg. The stonework symbolizes the will of reconstruction of the destroyed city after the Second World War. The coat-of-arms was drafted and designed by Ottfried Neubecker.
Jens Pattke, 23 and 25 February 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on July 23, 1956. The arms are canting, showing a cross (Kreuz) rising from a mountain (Berg). The division of the arms indicates that at the time that the arms were granted half of the district had been rebuilt most of the district was destroyed during the Second World War. As with all arms of the Berlin districts, a mural crown with a small shield with the arms of Berlin may be used.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 18 December 2001