Last modified: 2021-01-16 by rob raeside
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
In 1917, the first National Pedagogic Congress held in Colombia decided the
establishment in Bogotá of Instituto Pedagógico Nacional (IPN), where classes
started on 9 March 1927 under the guidance of the German educationalist
Francisca Radke. As a reaction against conservatism of IPN, Escuela Normal
Superior was established in 1936 to promote liberal education; the old masculine
and feminine faculties were merged in a modern, mixed system.
Escuela Normal Superior was split back into faculties in 1952, while Francisca Radke established in 1955 Universidad Pedagógica Nacional Femenina to foster the incorporation of woman to the academic and economic circles of the country.
Universidad Pedagógica Nacional (UPN), established in 1962, was granted full autonomy in 1968.
UPN is composed of 4 Faculties: Science and Technologies, Education, Sports, and Humanities.
The flag of UPN is horizontally divided blue-white with the university's emblem in the center.
Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
Escuela de Enfermería
image by Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
The Infirmary School of the Pedagogical and Technological
University of Colombia (Escuela de Enfermería Universidad
Pedaógica y Tecnológica de Colombia).
Flag at the university website. The device is an oil lamp.
Jan Mertens, 2 December 2008
Actually, the translation of the name of this institution
should read 'School of Nursing of the Educational and
Technological University of Colombia.
Ron Lahav, 4 December 2008
"Universidad Pedagógica y Tecnológica de Colombia" (UPTC) was founded in 1953
in Tunja (Boyacá Department); UPTC has today sections in Duitama, Sogamoso and
Chiquinquirá (Boyacá Department. UPTC is formed of the Faculties of Agronomical
Sciences, Basic Sciences, Education Sciences, Economical and Administrative
Sciences, Health Sciences, Law, and Engineering, and of three Secion Faculties
located in the secondary sections of the University.
The flag of UPTC, as shown graphically and described on the UPTC website, is quartered black-ochre. Black represents decency, modesty, discretion, commitment to the service and the defence of the sovereign homeland. It represents the shyness of our citizens and the discretion of the women. Ochre recalls that the Tunja lands, seemingly arid, bore the first wheat grain ever in Colombia. Ochre also represents maize, the most important staple food of the Muisca culture, and the sun that was venerated by our ancestors.
The flag of the School of Nursing, designed by the student Olga Marina Valero de Hernández, is white with two ochre and black horizontal stripes on top and bottom, covering together 40% of the flag's hoist and recalling the flag of UTPC, and the School's emblem in the middle.
Source: http://www.uptc.edu.co/facultades/f_salud/pregrado/enfermeria/inf_adicional/simbolos/bandera.html (new link but photo of the flag still there)
The emblem of the School of Nursing is an oil lamp as used in 1200 by St. Catherine of Sienna [indeed the nurses' patron saint, but she lived in 1347-1380, not in 1200] during the black plague epidemic; the saint visited nightly sick people, using the lamp to find her way through the town's streets. The oil lamp has been used since them when watching over sick people in hospitals, convents, asylums and all kinds of health institutes. Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), the pioneer of modern nursing, used such a lamp during the Crimean War (1853-1856) in her nightly rounds and was nicknamed "The Lady with the Lamp". The oil lamp is a symbol of light, clarity, knowledge and hope.
Ivan Sache, 05 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 14 September 2014
Institución Educativa Pedro Estrada was established in the San Fernando
borough, part of the municipality of Itagüí (Antioquia Department), in 1954, and
registered in 1959 by Departmental Ordinance No. 21. The institute is named for
the Itagüí-born entrepreneur Pedro Estrada González (1881-1956).
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/ - Municipal website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-red with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the institute's emblem. Blue represents the constant progress towards excellence, quality and humanization of education. Red represents passion for a project of personal and institutional life centered on the human being. White symbolizes the building and permanent compromise of the educational community towards a culture of peace.
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/index.php/filosofia/simbolos-institucionales/bandera - Institute' website
The emblem of the institute is circular. In the middle is placed a symbol representing the human being and letter "I", for "Informática" (computer science), "institución" (institution), and "formación integral" (integral education). The symbol is surrounded by four people with open arms, who represent the educational community. The emblem uses the institutional colours: white, red, and blue. The emblem represents the humanist philosophy of the institute. In the center of the educative process is the person, who receives and projects the values of the educational community, composed of the students, parents, managing teachers, teachers, and ex-alumni. Those are united by their open arms for team work, as an evidence that the community learns, innovates, and participates.
Source: http://www.iepedroestrada.net/index.php/filosofia/simbolos-institucionales/escudo - Institute' website
Ivan Sache, 14 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 10 September 2014
Institución Educativa Técnica Pedro José Sarmiento is located in Socha
The institute is named for General Pedro José Sarmiento, President of the Sovereign State of Boyacá, killed on 17 June 1885 during the Battle of La Humareda.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-green.
Source: http://www.socha-boyaca.gov.co/apc-aa-files/33383463363735336232333366366365/SIMBOLOS_DE_LA_INSTITUCION_1.pdf - Socha official website
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021
Escuela Normal Superior Pedro Justo Berrío, located in Santa Rosa de Osos (Antioquie),
is named for the local lawyer and politician Pedro Justo Berrío (1827-1875),
President (~ Governor) of the Sovereigns State of Antioquia from 1864 to 1873,
and, subsequently, Rector of the University of Antioquia. Berrío significantly
contributed to the development of Antioquia, promoting education and transport;
he is credited the establishment of hundreds of schools, of the Bank of
Antioquia and of the first railway in the state.
The flag of Escuela Normal Superior Pedro Justo Berrío is horizontally divided white-red with the school's coat of arms in the center.
White and red summarize the customs' purity and juvenile ardor that reign in the school.
The shield's upper half features the schematic representation of mountains and the sun, recalling the Antioquia anthem, "Oh Liberty that perfumes the mountains of my motherland... and I love the sun because it is free". This alludes to liberty, tenacity and honesty.
The lower quarters, left, charged with a cross, and right, charged with a lighthouse, refer to faith and science, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
Colegio Pensamiento, located in Cali, was started on 26 August 2005.
The flag of Colegio Pensamiento, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is divided white-light-blue-green along the ascending diagonal. The white triangle covers half of the flag, while the blue and green stripes are of equal height, one half of the flag's hoist. White represents the human being as a person and his/her required transparency. Light blue represents the greatness and immensity of heavens, as well as the importance of education in the institute. Green represents the natural environment and the contrast experienced by the human being facing the world.
Ivan Sache, 8 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white with the
institute's emblem in the middle. The colours are those of the flag of the
Colombian Police. Green represents hope and force, while white represents
energy, purity and peace.
The emblem of the institute features two arrows pointing upwards, as a symbol of cooperatives, an open book, as a symbol of knowledge, the torches of science and liberty, and a star representing the "police civic emphasis".
Ivan Sache, 01 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021
Jardin Infantil Campestre Pequeños Exploradores is located in Medellín
The flag of Jardin Infantil Campestre Pequeños Exploradores is horizontally divided white-red.
Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 20 March 2019
"Fundación Gimnasio Pereira" is a girls' institute
located at Pereira, Department of Risaralda.
The institute was founded on 11 February 1947 by Arturo Vallejo, Manuel Mejia, Manuel Uribe and Pablo Ramirez. After the death of the first Director of the institute, Carlota Sánchez Marín, on 26 August 1958, the institute was transformed into a foundation to avoid an economical crisis. The patron of the institute is St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus.
The flag of the institute was adopted after a competition won by Beatriz Toro (student in 1947-1957). The flag is beige with a red saltire and the coat of arms of the institute in the middle. On the photo of the flag, the coat of arms is tilted to the upper left corner (so that its vertical axis is parallel to the descending diagonal of the flag). The flag is 1.06 m x 2.40 m, the width of the arms of the saltire being 10 cm.
Beige represents force, vigor and hope, while red represents unity and love.
The flag shall be equipped with red tassels.
The first flag was made by the "RR. MM. Adoratrices" (I guess, religious) of the town of Pereira.
The coat of arms of the institute was created by Jorge Roa Martínez. The shield is vertically divided blue (for the feminine grace, elegance and seriousness) and red (for love, solidarity and social democracy) and crossed by a yellow bend (for the precious gift of science and knowledge) charged with the black letters "G" and "P" (for "Gimnasio Pereira").
A white swan placed in the lower part of the blue field represents the feminine grace; a white tower masoned black placed in the upper part of the red field represents virtue.
The shield is surmonted by a white scroll charged with the motto (in Spanish) "POR LA GRACIA Y LA VIRTUD" (For Grace and Virtue).
Source: Institute website
Ivan Sache, 13 April 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 30 November 2018
Instituto Técnico Superior de Pereira (Risaralda Department) was established
on 1 March 1943, as Instituto Técnico Industrial de Pereira, to be upgraded to
ITS by Decree No. 1,890 issued on 7 September 1951. ITS incorporated Escuela
Mariela Lemus Gutiérrez by Resolution No. 2,392, issued on 30 October 2002.
The flag of ITS is prescribed in Article 1.3.1 of the Manual de Convivencia. Green and white are the colors adopted by the International Labour Organisation to represent education and teaching of industrial arts and
related topics. Green is also the symbol of hope, while white represents the purity of noble feeling, peace and harmony.
https://itspereira.edu.co/pdf/Manual_de_Convivencia_ITS_2008.pdf, Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 30 November 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 30 July 2014
The flag of Liceo Campestre de Pereira (Risaralda Department) is vertically
divided blue-white-green. The flag, designed by Sebastián Buitrago Corredor, was
selected in an internal contest organized in 2002. Blue represents the student's
growing process towards the development of intelligence and skills. Yellow
represents the spiritual resources. Green represents aspiration by all to a
better and peaceful Colombia.
Source: http://www.liceocampestredepereira.edu.co/?page_id=68&lang=es - Institute's website
The flag is represented with the institute's emblem, which was adopted only in 2006, in the middle, but the flag in actual use does not bear the coat of arms, either.
Photos (June 2012): http://noticampestre-lcp.blogspot.fr/2012/06/semana-del-4-al-8-de-junio-de-2012.html
Ivan Sache, 30 July 2014