Last modified: 2021-01-16 by rob raeside
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 6 March 2017
Institución Educativa Loma Linda originates in Escuela Urbana Integrada Loma
Linda, established on 10 September 1989 by Agreement No. 61 in the Loma Linda
Sector, Calatrava borough, Itagüí. Its current name was prescribed on 25
November 2002 by Resolution No. 16,073.
http://www.ielomalinda.edu.co - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is divided white-blue by the ascending diagonal. Blue represents the meeting with God. White represents peace and transparency.
http://www.ielomalinda.edu.co/index2.php?id=32049&idmenutipo=775&tag= - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 6 March 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
Institución Educativa Nacional Loperena is based in Valledupar (Cesar).
Colegio Nacional Loperena was established by Law no. 95 of 21 December 1940, after a Bill tabled by the local Senator Pedro Castro Monsalvo. Classes started in 1942, given by 6 professors to 60 students. Self-styled "Alma Mater of Cesar", the institute was proclaimed a National Monument in 1993.
The institute is named for María Concepción Loperena de Fernández de Castro (d. 1835), aka "La Loperana" and "La Heroina". La Loperana organized in 1812 the uprising of Valledupar against the Spanish administration; she proclaimed on 4 February (today's the official Town's Day) 1813 the independence of Valledupar and released the same day all the slaves from her estates. La Loperana was also the pioneer of education in Valledupar. With the support of General Francisco de Paula Santander, she established in the town a school of alphabetization based on the Lancaster method, officially recognized by a Decree on 17 May 1824.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green. White represents virtue and purity. Green represents hope, vitality, and the natural environment.
Source: Institute website
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
image by Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
Colegio Femenino Lorencita Villegas de Santos is located in Bogotá. The
institute is named for Lorenza Villegas (1892-1960), First Lady of
Colombia from 1938 to 1942.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-white-green. Red is a symbol of love for the institute and passion for knowledge. White is a symbol of virtue and peace. Green is a symbol of hope.
http://colegio.redp.edu.co/lorencitavillega/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=56 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 October 2018
Colegio Lorenzo de Alcantuz was established in Bogotá on 21 November 1988 by
Carlos Hernando Guerrero. The school's namesake, Lorenzo de Alcantuz (1741-1782)
joined in 1781 José Antonio Galán in the Commoners' insurrection against the
Spanish colonial power; captured, Alcantuz was executed and quartered, while his
head was exposed in the town of San Gil to scare the population.
The flag of Colegio Lorenzo de Alcantuz is diagonally divided blue-gray-blue (per bend) with the school's badge in the center.
Ivan Sache, 17 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2018
Institución Educativa Lorenza Villegas de Santos originates in Liceo
Departamental de Señoritas de Berlín, established in the Aranjuez borough
(Medellín) by Order No. 30, issued on 17 December 1966. Classes started on 7
March 1967 in a classroom kindly offered by Maruja Calderón, director of
Escuela Esteban Jaramillo. The school was renamed the same year to Liceo
Departamental Femenino Lorenza Villegas de Santos by Order No. 17.
The school is named for Lorenza "Lorencita" Villegas de Santos (1899-1960), wife of 15th President of the Republic Eduardo Santos Montejo (1938-1942). As the First Lady of Colombia, she supported the establishment or renovation of several hospitals all over the country.
The flag of IE Lorenza Villegas de Santos, designed in 1976 by Alcira Ramírez Correa, is described in the school's Manuel de Convivencia as follows:
The flag is composed of three horizontal stripes of equal size, which form a tricolor rectangle. It represents harmony, diversity and difference.
Yellow is a symbol of light and joy, of science that enlightens the human being's greatness and dignity.
Green is a symbol of hope, peace and life promised to the youth.
Red is a symbol of love and virtue and of the spiritual beauty of the youth; red also reflects energy and commitment to growth.
Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
Colegio Los Alerces, established in 1950 in Bogotá, is owned by the "Educadores
Siglo XXI company". Originally known as Gimnasio Villa Luz, the institute was
renamed Gimnasio Los Alerces in the beginning of the 21st century. "Los Alerces"
means "larches" (Spanish, "alerco", from Arab "al arx". botanical Latin, "Larix").
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-green. The colours represent charity and hope, respectively.
Source: College website
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2016
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2014
Colegio Los Andes was established on 8 August 1986 in Chinchiná by Juanita
Gutiérrez Paris and Ana Rosa Pineda Cardona. The founders transferred in 1999
the management of the institute to a group of pupil's parents.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green. The white stripe represents the immaculate Nevado del Ruíz, a symbol of purity and integrity. The green stripe represents the beauty of the natural environment and is a tribute to coffee, the main source of local, and, more generally, national income.
The volcano Nevado del Ruíz (5,321 m), covered by glaciers, was the responsible of the Armero tragedy. On 13 November 1985, the eruption of the volcano generated a mud flow that completely destroyed the town of Armero, causing c. 25,000 deaths.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 14 October 2014
Colegio Mayor de Los Andes is located in the village of El Canelón, part of
the town of Bogotá.
The flag of the institute is shown in the Institute's Etiquette Guidebook as horizontally divided blue-green. In the middle is placed a counter-coloured disk (horizontally divided green-blue) inscribed with the institute's name and surrounding the institute's emblem. The emblem of the institute is a disk vertically divided green-white and charged with a phoenix ensigned by an open book, the two counter-coloured.
Source: http://www.colegiomayordelosandes.edu.co/home/formativo/manual-de-convivencia - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior Los Andes" is located in La Vega (Cauca
Department). The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on
the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-green. In the middle
of the flag is placed the institute's emblem.
Blue represents the water resources of the Colombian Range, the aspiration to infinite to reach deep knowledge. White symbolizes transparency, rightness, honesty and respect, values required to set up a peaceful pedagogy. Green symbolizes the natural resources of the fauna and flora, and hope.
On the emblem, the mountains represent the Colombian Range, the source of significant watercourses watering the national territory: rivers Patía, Cauqua, Caquetá and Magdalena forming the River Star, the center of the Colombian biodiversity. The circular shape of the emblem emphasizes that the institute is a center of convergence for all ethnical and sociocultural groups of the region.
Ivan Sache, 04 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 13 March 2017
Institución Educativa Los Andes originates in Colegio Los Andes, inaugurated
on 8 February 1976. Institución Educativa Los Andes was established in 2002 by
Decree no. 492, as the merger of the three schools of Los Andes, Los Alpes, and
http://losandesflorenciacaqueta.blogspot.fr/p/resena-historica-l-institucion.html - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is divided white-emerald green by the descending diagonal. There is no record of its designer. White is a symbol of peace. Green is a symbol of the vivid natural environment of the Amazonian region, of the forest resources, and of hope.
http://losandesflorenciacaqueta.blogspot.fr/p/22-simbolos-institucionales.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2014
Liceo de los Andes was established on 13 September 1968 in Cali (Valle
Department) by Narciso Cabal Salcedo (1901-1982), who would serve as the
director until 1980. The institute is managed by the FUNED (Fundación para la
Educación), a non-profit foundation set up on 29 December 1973 by the
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-blue.
Source: http://www.liceodelosandes.org/es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:quienes-somos&Itemid=56 - Institute's website
Note: Liceo de los Andes does not seem to be connected with Colegio Inglés de los Andes, also located in Cali, except by the name and flag.
Ivan Sache, 29 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 13 December 2020
Colegio Los Ángeles started in Cartagena on 4 February 1981, as Guardería y
Jardín Infantil Bambi. The school is managed by the non-profit Corporación
Educativa Los Ángeles, ruled since 1986 by Betty Guerra Oviedo.
The flag of Colegio Los Ángeles was designed in 2009 by Valeria García Almeida (4th Basic Primary Class), winner of a contest organized by the school.
The flag is diagonally divided white-blue from the upper hoist to the lower fly, charged in the center with the school's coat of arms. A row of four golden yellow stars is placed in upper fly.
White is the color of the angel's cloak, symbolizing peace, safety and kindness.
Celestial blue is associated with knowledge and tranquillity.
The stars enlighten the way to academic, cultural and social excellence.
The colors are prescribed as follows:
- Turquoise blue #0E3C84
- Celestial blue #BBD7E1
- Golden yellow #DDAF4D
- White #FF FFF
Ivan Sache, 13 December 2020
image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2018
Colegio Bilingüe Los Ángeles was established, as Jardín Infantil Angelitos,
on 1 March 1982 in La Sabanita borough, Aguachica (Cesar Department) by Gloria
Janeth Peinado Portillo.
The flag of Colegio Bilingüe Los Ángeles has a royal blue background, which represents harmony and peace that have to be preserved in the children's environment. From the flag's center emerge four white stripes, which represent the four pillars of the institute: love, constancy, work, loyalty. In the center, a white oval charged with the school's coat of arms represents integral education offered to students, who are educated in moral, intellectual and social dimensions. On each corner is placed a five-pointed star, which represents the light of multiple intelligence promoted by the school.
The coat of arms of Colegio Bilingüe Los Ángeles has a white background symbolizing everyone's purity. The angel represents the innocent and tender part of the students. The name of the school inscribed in red letters represents the student and teachers' joy.
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 26 July 2018
Colegio Los Ángeles San Fernando was established on 6 October 1956 by
Mercedes Herrera de Tenorio in San Fernando borough (Cali), in front of the
Pascal Guerrero Olympic stadium.
The flag of Colegio Los Ángeles San Fernando is horizontally divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the school's emblem in the center.
The symbols of the school were designed on 11 June 1956 by founder Mercedes
Herrera Mora. The flag was hoisted for the first time on 6 October 1956, during
the school's inauguration.
The blue stripes symbolize the liberty's firmament, the generous ideals and the fraternal love that unite the great family of the school, as well as justice, loyalty, fraternity, force, sweetness, valor, and the seven rivers that water the town of Cali from east to west and north to south.
The central white stripe symbolizes the goal towards the good deeds of every member of the educational institution shall be directed, as well as purity, integrity, faith, obedience, peace, firmness, vigilance, kindness, virtue and science.
On the coat of arms, the planisphere features the American continent, meaning that the school spreads much beyond the national borders, represented by each of its alumni. The torch surmounting the planisphere symbolizes energy, struggle and light that guides on the way to knowledge.
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2018, 1 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
Gimnasio Los Arrayanes (GLA) was established in Bogotá by Resolution No. 250
of 5 November 2010, succeeding Nuevo Gimnasio San Luis Gonzaga. The institute
has been managed since 2008 by Sociedad Educativa Nueva Inglaterra.
The flag of GLA is horizontally divided blue-white-green (1:8:1) with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green and blue are the institutional colours of GLA. Green is a symbol of growth, hope, friendship, service and respect, while blue is a symbol of justice, heavens, truth, loyalty and charity.
Source: http://www.gla.edu.co/Bandera.html - Institute's website
The emblem of GLE features the "minimalist" representation of a tree, alluding to the myrtle ("arrayanes") for which the institute is named. The trunk of the tree symbolizes the human condition, in permanent growth, and virtue. The tree's canopy is supported by two big branches, which represent the two other principles of GLA, science and citizenship. In the middle of the emblem are placed the interlaced blue letters "GLA". A blue scroll is inscribed with the institute's name in white capital letters.
Source: http://www.gla.edu.co/Escudo.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014