Last modified: 2021-01-16 by rob raeside
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2018
Institución Educativa Blanca Duran de Padilla was established on 5 May 1075
in El Centro, Barrancabermeja (Santander).
The flag of IE Blanca Duran de Padilla is described in the school's Manual de Convivencia as follows;
The flag is composed of two horizontal rectangles of equal size, the one yellow and the other green.
Yellow represents the resources of the region and the values defended by the parents and teachers through education and guidance.
Green means the youth's hope and dreams' realization.
Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
I recently wrote that the Colombian Theresian educational institutes could
share a common flag, horizontally divided white-blue. My assumption, based on
two samples, was erroneous.
Colegio Teresiano de Bogotá is one of the seven Colombian institutes chaired by the Community of St. Therese of the Child Jesus. It was founded on 12 February 1962 and officially registered on 9 September 1963.
The flag of Colegio Teresiano de Bogotá is presented on the institute's website as horizontally divided light blue-white-coffee brown. Coffee brown represents the Earth and the soil. Light blue represents transcendence of the infinite, the mystery of cosmos, the metaphysical dimension of reality. White, placed between the two other colors, represent the Earth and Heavens, the finite and infinite, the immanent and the transcendent.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache 1 January 2021
Colegio Bolívar was established in 1942 in Soacha (Cundinamarca) by parish
priest Manuel Vicente Rojas.
The flag of Colegio Bolívar is horizontally divided blue-gray-blue with the school's coat of arms in the center.
Blue is a symbol of tranquility, welfare and seriousness
Gray is a symbol of sobriety, respect of difference, balance and harmony.
The coat of arms features the Bible as a source of knowledge, wisdom and direction.
The writing is taken from John 8:32: "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
Ivan Sache 1 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 28 December 2008
Flag of UPB is based on <www.upb.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 3 June 2001
"Universidad Pontificiana Bolivariana" (UPB) is a
Roman Catholic institute, recognized "ab homine" by the
Archbishop of Medellín Tiberio de J. Salazar y Herrera on 15
September 1936, and subsequently recognized by the Government of
Colombia on 22 February 1937 (Decree No. 48). The university was
upgraded to a "Pontificia" by the Holy Congregation of
Seminaries and Universities on 16 August 1945. UPB has its main
seat in Medellín and secondary seats in Bucaramanga, Montería
The flag of UPB, as shown graphically and described on the UPB website, is horizontally divided red-black with the emblem of UPB in the middle.
Red represents charity while black represents science and modesty. The flagstaff shall have a flame-shaped finial, with the same meaning as the shield.
The flag shall be used in all the official and academic events.
The shield of UPB, designed by Enrique Cerezao, is made of a black shield with a yellow border, charged with the Greek capital letters "Alpha" and "Omega", a flame, the letters "UPB", all in yellow, placed on a red and yellow "Cross of the Knights of Portugal", indeed a Cross of Christ.
"Alpha" and "Omega", as the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet, represent God as the beginning and the end of anything. The flame is the Christian symbol of science. Yellow represents faith, purity and constancy. The meaning of red and black is the same as on the flag.
"Manual de Imagen Corporativa UPB", released in 2005, gives a very detailed construction sheet of the shield (p. 26) and recommends the following shades (pp. 21 and 59):
Red: CMYK 0 100 100 0 - RGB 255 0 0 - Pantone 1795c
Gold: CMYK 0 20 100 0 - RGB 255 204 0 - Pantone 116c
Black: CMYK 0 0 0 100 - RGB 0 0 0 - Pantone Process black.
Ivan Sache, 28 December 2008
The UPB (Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Papal Bolivarian University) is
a University founded in 1936 in Medellín. It is a catholic university honoring
Simón Bolívar (who liberated many South American nations). The flag can be seen
Source: El Colombiano newspaper online article.
The flag is a horizontal flag, red (standing for charity) over black (modesty and science) in equal stripes, with the CoA ( http://www.upb.edu.co/pls/portal/docs/1/4220046.JPG ) in the middle, and it's located in the official website here.
There is the full corporate image manual regarding graphical identification.
For additional information go to: UPB (official website)
Esteban Rivera, 12 April 2012
Former, probably unofficial, flag of UPB
image by Ivan Sache, 3 June 2001
image by Carlos Thompson, 28 May 2003
Translated from Universidad del Bosque (Bogota)
website at <www.unbosque.edu.co>:
"Using several schemas used for summarizing a few of the program ideas, the flag was designed. A rectangle which two oblique lines divide in three triangles: the upper and the lower are rectangle (triangles) and in the middle another triangles that is opening till it reaches the base and continues to the infinity meaning the raising complexity of our studies, the progressive increment of our knowledge that never ends. The upper in orange color, the color of medicine, the lower in green color symbol of hope, and the central white, sign of clean and purity and in it the symbol".
Carlos Thompson, 28 May 2003
"Escuela Colombiana de Medicina" was recognized by
the Ministry of National Education on 4 August 1978 (Decree No.
11153) on the grounds of "Clínica El Bosque".
The institute was upgraded to a university by the Ministry of National Education on 5 February 1997 (Decree No. 327).
The symbol of the university, shown on the right part of the flag, was adopted in 1982. It is based on a Muisca artefact kept in the Gold Museum of the National Bank as item No. 1990. Found in Soacha and 15- cm high, the item represents a mace and two snakes, probably belonging to a lord or a shaman. The artefact is shown in the book by Antonio Grass, "Diseño precolombino colombiano" (Bogotá, 1972).
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 27 June 2014
Colegio de Boyacá (Colboy) was established in Tunja (Boyacá Department) by
National Decree No. 55, signed on 17 May 1822 by General Francisco de Paula
Santander, the Vice President of the Republic, in charge of the Executive. This
Decree initiated state education in Colombia.
The institute was officially inaugurated on 20 October 1822 in the St. Augustine convent, built from 1578 to 1659 and closed in 1821. The sermon initiating teaching was given by the Franciscan friar Francisco Florido, parish priest of Ramiriquí. The event was reported by the assessor Francisco Soto in an article published on 17 November 1822 on the front page of the Gaceta de Colombia, No. 57. The predicator of the convent, Friar José Antonio Cháves (1787-1856) was appointed the first director of the institute, which he ran from 1822 to 1823 and from 1826 to 1827. He was appointed Professor of Religious Fundaments, Theology, Apologetic Religious Studies, Holy Book and Moral and Dogmatic Theological Institutions at the Boyacá University by a Decree signed on 5 January 1828 by Simón Bolívar. The Chair of Civil Law, the first in the country, was established on
21 May 1825 at Colegio de Boyacá. The Boyacá University was established by National Decree of 30 May 1827, signed by General Francisco de Paula Santander; according to the Decree signed on 5 January 1828 by Simón Bolívar, the University and the Colegio would have the same Director and Deputy Director.
Ruled by the Augustine Fathers from 1830 to 1831, Colegio de Boyacá was re-established as a state institute by the Provincial Decree of 22 October 1832. The University and the Colegio were relocated in 1835 to the old Jesuit convent, established in the first half o the 17th century. Transformed in 1880 into an Agriculture Institute, Colegio de Boyacá was re-established in 1886. Renamed Colegio Ricaurte in 1896, the institute eventually re-adopted its original name in 1903. Among the alumni of the Colegio de Boyacá are several governors, ministers, bishops and the Presidents of the Republic Mariano Ospina Rodríguez (1857-1861), Santos Gutiérrez (1863; 1868-1870), Clímaco Calderón Reyes (21-22 December 1882), Rafael Reyes (1904-1909) and Gustavo Rojas Pinilla (1953-1957).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-red-white. The flag is derived of the flag of Boyacá, but with three, equal stripes instead of four, unequal. Green is a symbol of faith, sincere friendship, commitment to service, respect and hope in better days. Green represents also the fertility of the fields and the underground rich in emeralds. White is a symbol of territorial attachment, deep thoughts, dedication to intelligence and territorial unity. Red is a symbol of the heroes who fought for independence and freedom during the 1819 Liberation Campaign. They fecundated with their generous blood the greatness of Colombia and made of it an everlasting free republic.
Source: http://www.colboy.edu.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166&Itemid=54 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 27 June 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 8 January 2019
Gimnasio Boyacá was established on 27 November 1945 in Bogotá by Tito
Tulio Roa Contreras. The school was acquired in 2009 by Universidad ECCI and
renamed to Gimnasio Boyacá ECCI.
The flag of Gimnasio Boyacá ECCI is prescribed in Article 16 of the Manual de Convivencia, as composed of three horizontal stripes, yellow, green and blue. These colors represent honor and hope.
http://gimnasioboyacaecci.edu.co/home/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Manual-de-convivencia-2017.pdf, Manual de Convivencia
Ivan Sache, 8 January 2019
image by Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
Escuela San Miguel, established on 16 February 1904 in Pereira (Risaralda
Department), was renamed Escuela Boyacá in 1938.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green. White is a symbol of purity of the soul. Green is a symbol of the natural environment, of hope, generosity and justice.
Source: http://institucioneducativaboyaca.wordpress.com/nuestra-historia/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
image by Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
Image based on <www.uniboyaca.edu.co>.
Dov Gutterman, 21 July 2002
The flag of Uniboyacá, as shown graphically and described on
website, is horizontally divided white-red-white. White
represents the spiritual world, including research, science,
education and all kinds of intellectual work. It represents also
Red represents life in its permanent evolution and improvement, the vital sap of our history and the symbol of our liberty.
The colours of the flag of Uniboyacá are the core of the flag of the Department of Boyacá.
Ivan Sache, 27 December 2008
image by Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
"Centro Educativo Distrital Britalia" is located in
the borough of Britalia, Bogotá.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the website of the institute, is blue with a thin yellow stripe in the middle and a green triangle charged with a white star placed along the hoist.
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2021
Colegio Britanico was established on 8 February 1980 in Montería (Córdoba) by
Margarita Sanin de del Castillo.
The flag of Colegio Britanico is white with then vertical stripes on the edges, green and gray respectively, and the school's emblem in the center.
The emblem features the old Gustavo Rojas Pinilla bridge, locally known as the iron bridge, spanning over river Sinú. Deemed obsolete , the old bridge is expected to be substituted by a brand new one but kept in use for pedestrians and light vehicles only.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
Escuela Normal Superior de Bucaramanga (Santander Department) was established
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-white-golden yellow with the institute's emblem in the middle.
Source: https://sites.google.com/site/escuelanormalbucaramanga/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 12 October 2018
IE Buenos Aires is located in borough Buenos Aires, Cúcuta (Norte de
The flag of IE Buenos Aires is horizontally divided green-white. Green is a symbol of hope placed by the school in each student, whose actions shall define the future of the society. White represents peace as a goal to live in harmony; it also represents God, source and author of peace.
Ivan Sache, 12 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 01 December 2014
Instituto Técnico Agrícola Buga is located in Gudalajara de Buga
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green with the institute's emblem in the middle. White is a symbol of rectitude, empowerment and good faith. Green is a symbol of agriculture, cattle-breeding and of natural environment; it is also the symbol of aspiration to a better future. The emblem of the institute is symmetrical, emphasizing the different trends and dimensions of education. Letter "P" stands for "Profesionales". Letter "T" stands for Technology; the style of the "T" expresses the power of the academic programs.
Source: http://www.ita.edu.co/index.php/institucion/simbolos - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 01 December 2014