Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: choco | acandi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman, 30 July 2008
"Acandí is a town and municipality in the Chocó
Department, Colombia by the Caribbean sea. The name Acandí
derives from the Acandí tribe which means "River of
Stones". The first foundation of the town of Acandí
originated in c. 1890 by Spanish colonizers Concepcion Gomez,
Fermin Avila, Jose Piestan, Jose Garrido and others with the name
of San Nicolas de Titumate and was located to the left margin of
the Acandí River but was constantly flooded and devastated by
this river. The inhabitants moved the village to a nearby safer
pleace in 1896.
The municipality of Acandí was created on August 5, 1908 by ordenance of this same year."
Acandí flag is horizontal yellow-blue-green.
Sources: wikipedia, municipal web site.
Felipe Carrillo and Dov Gutterman, 30 July 2008
See also: First Colombian Municipalities
image from municipal web site