Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: kirkland | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Luc Baronian
image by Luc Baronian
I took a photo of the flag with arms in 1999 in a Montreal Urban Community building. The armorial flag is also reported in Beaudoin. Both the logo and the arms flag seem to have been used until the 2002 merger.
Reference: François Beaudoin, Symboles de la Communauté urbaine de Montréal, Vexilla Belgica, 1982.
Luc Baronian, 9 May 2005
The municipality of Kirkland (20,888 inhabitants in 2008; 1,028 ha) is
located in the south-west of Montreal Island.
Kirkland originates in the civil parish of Saint-Joachim-de-la-Pointe-Claire, established on 3 March 1722 by the King of France. The municipality of the same name was established on 1 July 1845, abolished two years later, and eventually re-established on 1 July 1855. The Town of Kirkland was incorporated on 24 March 1961 and inaugurated on 15 September 1962. The town is named for Dr. Charles-Aimé Kirkland (1896-1961), who served as the Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly of Quebec in the provincial riding of Jacques-Cartier from 1939 to his death. His daughter Marie-Claire Kirkland (b. 1924) was the first woman elected to the National Assembly of Quebec (succeeding her father in 1961), the first woman appointed a Cabinet minister in Quebec (1962), the first woman appointed acting premier, and the first woman judge to serve in the Quebec Provincial Court.
The first coat of arms of Kirkland, adopted in 1961 was made of a shield outlined in gray, divided blue-red by a white bend sinister inscribed "KIRKLAND / QUÉBEC". The blue field is charged with a yellow factory with a chimney releasing gray smoke. The red field is charged with a branch of three green maple leaves. Under the shield, a blue scroll is inscribed with the town's Latin motto "AD CIVITORUM FELICITATEM" (For the Citizen's Happiness). "INCORPORÉ 1961" is written between the shield and the scroll. The coat of arms was changed in 1970 for the present one, as was the motto, changed to "JUSTIS CREATOR FAVET" (The Creator Favours the Just)
- http://www.ville.kirkland.qc.ca/fr/client/page2.asp?page=55&clef=28&Clef2=15 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2012