This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Chambord, Quebec (Canada)

Ville de Chambord

Last modified: 2021-01-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: saguenay | chambord | quebec | wheat sheaf | railroad tracks |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ville de Chambord] image by Masao Okazaki, 21 December 2020

See also:


Photos of this flag from 2007 were posted in December 2020 by Luc Vartan Baronian in the FOTW Facebook group:
A screen shot from a recent city council video (included in the FB post) shows that the flag is still being used.

Information about the logo of the flag appears (in French) on the city's website:

The flag is a Canadian pale of blue (fading hoist-wise to paler blue-white-deep yellow with a logo depicting a weather cock in the centre.
Masao Okazaki, 21 December 2020

Chambord was known under several different names. The village emerged as the Ouiatchouan mission; two groups of colonists soon established in Pointe-aux-Pins (Pines' Point) and Pointe-aux-Trembles (Aspens' Point), respectively. The parish of Saint-Joseph-de-la-Pointe-aux Trembles was erected, after a visit by Louis Archambeault, Commissioner of Public Works, the parish was renamed to Saint)Louis-de-la-Pointe-aux-Trembles.
To prevent confusion with two other laces called Pointe-aux-Trembles, the parish was renamed to Saint-Louis-de-Métabetchouan.

The post-office, however, was named to Chambord. It is believed that land surveyor Pascal-Horace Dumais pushed the name as a tribute to the count of Chambord, the unfortunate pretender to the throne of France.
The name of Saint-Louis-de-Chambord was coined on 28 June 1888 in the "Progrès du Saguenay" and in the railway timetable dated 18 July 1888, to be officially adopted by the municipality on 19 January 1926.
On 16 April 1932, the municipality of Saint-Louis-de-Chambord was renamed to the village of Chambord. The village was merged on 8 December 1973 with the parish of Saint-Louis-de-Chambord to form the municipality of Chambord.
Municipal website

The (weather) cock as a whole represents the pride of the inhabitants of Chambord.
The cock's crest and tail represent lake Saint-John, with its waves sometimes smooth sometimes dangerous.
The arrow represents a municipality looking to the future.
The shingled roof and the background represent the country and fields as far as the eye can see under the sun.
The roof's lower edge represent factory chimneys, emphasizing the opening of the municipality to the greatest progress.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 23 December 2020

Coat of Arms

[Ville de Chambord]contributed by Luc Baronian

Domaine-du-Roy county

The shield shows the regional flag in chief.
Luc Baronian, 10 June 2005