Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | rafard |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
14 January 2013
Based on: http://www.rafard.sp.gov.br
A diagonal triband per bend, dark green-white-dark green, with yellow-red borders between the green and white fields, and the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 January 2013
Rafard was founded by Júlio Henrique Raffard, the son of the Swiss council in Rio de Janeiro, Eugénio Raffard. The settlement established around the São João de Capivari Central Mill was colonized in 1875 by Italian immigrants. The place was successively named Villa Henrique Raffard, Villa Raffard, and Raffard. In 1910, the town, served by the Sorocabana railway, had 700 inhabitants. Aspiration to municipal emancipation from Capivari started in 1958, Rafard having then 2,000 inhabitants; however, Rafard was such a rich district that the mayors of Capivari attempted to delay emancipation as long as possible. The municipality of Rafard was established in 1965.
The flag of Rafard is divided per bend green-white-green, the white bend being separated form the green bends by a yellow-red fimbriation. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The first, green stripe represents hope and evokes agriculture. The second, yellow stripe represents wealth and force supplied by sugarcane, the base of the local economy. The third, white stripe represents peace. The fourth, red stripe represents perseverance; red recalls Switzerland, the origin of Júlio Henrique Raffard, the town's founder.
http://www.rafard.sp.gov.br/conheca_rafard_bandeira.htm - Municipal website
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms of Rafard is "Argent divided per fess wavy argent and azure, 1. A cogwheel sable ensigned with a winged cap of the same, 2. A heart pink, 3. A liberty cap gules orled with a ring or, 4. An open book vert inscribed argent. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent. The shield supported by two sugar canes proper. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'PELO TRABALHO SEMPRE' surrounded by the years '1883' and '1965', all gules."
The 15th century style of the shield evokes the past and the importance of tradition. The cogwheel and the winged cap represents industry and commerce, respectively. The cogwheel recalls the sugar mill once set up in the town, which boosted its development. The heart represents the third theological virtue, charity, recalling the nickname of the Rafard, "Heart Town". The golden ring represents the unity among the inhabitants of the town. The liberty cap recalls France, where it was used during the First Republic; it is a tribute to a country that much contributed to the promotion and development of Rafard. The book emphasizes the importance of education and culture.
http://www.rafard.sp.gov.br/conheca_rafard_brasao.htm - Municipal
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2013