Last modified: 2013-06-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | nazaré paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Nazaré Paulista was founded in 1676 by Mathias and Zuzarte Lopes, who
erected a chapel dedicated to our Lady of Nazareth. The chapel was
suppressed the same year to be soon re-established, in 1682; the first
baptisms and weddings were celebrated in 1686. In 1701, the village of
Nossa Senhora de Nazareth counted 81 households. The parish of
Nazareth was established in 1731, as part of the town of São Paulo,
and transferred in 1769 to the newly established town of São João
Batista de Atibaia (today, Atibaia).
The municipality of Nazareth was established by Provincial Law No. 15
of 10 June 1850, and renamed Nazaré Paulista by State Decree-Law No.
14,334 of 30 November 1944.
http://www.nazarepaulista.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Nazaré Paulista are prescribed in Article 2 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the coat of arms,
the flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history".
http://www.camaranazarepaulista.sp.gov.br/leis_ordinaria - Municipal Constitution
The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 24 May 2013