Last modified: 2013-09-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | joanópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Joanópolis was founded on 24 June 1878, by Anselmo Caparica on a piece of land offered by João José Batista Nogueira and Luiz Antônio Figueiredo. The village was originally named São João do Curralinho and belonged to the municipality of Santo Antonio da Cachoeira (today, Piracaia). The district of São João do Curralinho was established by Decree No. 135 of 3 March 1891, suppressed by Law No. 54 of 9 August 1892, and re-established by Law No. 207 of 30 August 1893. The municipality of São João do Curralinho was established by Decree No. 348 of 17 August 1895, inaugurated on 20 August 1896, and renamed Joanópolis by Law No. 1,578 of 18 December 1917. Joanópolis was awarded the title of Tourist's Resort by State Law No. 10,759 of 23 January 2001.
The symbols of Joanópolis are prescribed in Article 6 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 3 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the flag
and other symbols established by Municipal Law".
http://www.camarajoanopolis.sp.gov.br/lei_organica/11.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag is blue with a white cross. In the middle of the flag is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The available sources do not allow to define accurately the size and shape of the cross.
Ivan Sache, 16 April 2013
There's a law at
we might be interested in, and an image at
Less clear, but in the cloth at:
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 4 May 2013
The symbols of Joanópolis, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 626 of 10 May 1978.
The flag is blue with a white cross patty. In the middle of the flag is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms. The size of the flag is 14 units x 20 units. (The rest of the description is blurred so that the exact details of the flag cannot be guessed).
The coat of arms is "An Iberian shield, Azure a three-topped mound issuant from the base ensigned by a Paschal lamb all argent. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a plant of bean the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the municipality's name in letters argent".
The Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, evokes the first colonizers and builders of the country. Azure (blue) is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, incorruptible firmness, glory, virtue, constancy, dignity, zeal, loyalty and recreation. The mound is a symbol of greatness, knowledge, nobleness and firmness; it represents here the Serra da Mantiqueira range. The Paschal lamb recalls St. John the Baptist, the patron saint and namesake of the municipality. Argent is a symbol of felicity, purity, temperance, truth, beauty, integrity and friendship. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The open ports are a symbol of hospitality. The plants of maize and bean highlight the fertility of the generous soil of Joanópolis, where agriculture is a main source of income.
http://www.camarajoanopolis.sp.gov.br/template.php?pagina=nossa_cidade/brasao.php - Website of the Municipal Council, link found by Peter Hans van
Ivan Sache, 12 May 2013
The text states:
Art. 5° Tem a Bandeira 14m (quatorze módulos) de altura por 20m (vinte módulos) de cumprimento; os braços da cruz têm 3m (três módulos) de largura e suas extremidades, 4,8m (oito módulos) de diâmetro eo Brasão de Armas tem 5,5m (cinco módulos e meio) de altura.Obviously, the eight modules in diameter would have to be the disk rather than the arms, but that doesn't leave enough measurements for the arms to fully define them. Joanópolis se moastra, http://joanopolissemostra.blogspot.nl/2013_06_01_archive.html, takes the approach that the dimensions really define the arms, apparently, so comes up with rather narrow drawn arms. That approach is confirmed by the Camera Municipal drawing, though that has the wrong ratio.