This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Itatinga, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itatinga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Itatinga, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 20 November 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

Divided per bend, white over red, with a pile of stones in the centre, and two fronds on either side.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 20 November 2012

The municipality of Itatinga (18,052 inhabitants in 2010; 97,987 h) is located 220 km of São Paulo.

Itatinga is named for the Tupi-Guarani words "ita", "a stone", and "tinga", "white", recalling rocks located east of the town. Following the establishment of an early settlement in 1875, the district of São João de Itatinga was established on 1 April 1891. The municipality of São João de Itatinga, seceding from Avaré, was established on 24 July 1896 and inaugurated on 15 May 1898. The name of the municipality was shortened to Itatinga on 30 November 1938.

The flag is made of two triangles, white at the top and red at the bottom, separated by a bend. White represents peace as feature and aspiration of the inhabitants. Red, taken from the municipal coat of arms, represents São Paulo State. In the middle of the flag are three white stones outlined in black, recalling the origin of the name of the municipality, in Tupi-Guarani, "white stones", surrounded on the left by a branch of coffee, once the main source of income of the emerging municipality, and on the right by a branch of eucalyptus, representing the present-day's town. Accordingly, the whole flag represents the past, present and future of Itatinga. - "Wikipedia", quoting the description of the the flag from a page of the municipal website no longer available
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2012