This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Itaberá, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | itaberá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Itaberá, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 11 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Itaberá (17,861 inhabitants in 2010; 10,829 ha) is located 320 km of São Paulo.

Itaberá was founded in 1848 by three farmers originating from Minas Gerais, José Rodrigues Simões, Francisco Antônio da Silva and Antônio Joaquim Diniz. A chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception of Lavrinhas was erected in 1832. The chapel was named for river Lavrinhas, from which pioneers attempted to wash off diamonds and gold, to no avail. The municipality of Lavrinhas was established by State Decree No. 152 of 8 April 1891 and inaugurated on 25 April 1891. The municipality was renamed Itaberá by State Law No. 975 of 20 December 1905, for a Tupi- Guarani word meaning "shining stone", referring to the aforementioned, mythical diamonds. - Municipal website

The symbols of Itaberá are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 6 December 2004 and superseding the Constitution originally adopted on 23 April 1990, as "the symbols established by Municipal Law, that is the flag, the coat of arms and the anthem". - Municipal Constitution

The flag is white with the coat of arms in the middle.


Ivan Sache, 11 April 2013