This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ibirarema, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ibirarema |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ibirarema, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 9 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Ibirarema (6,725 inhabitants in 2010; 22,845 ha) is located on the border with Paraná, here River Paranapanema, 410 km of São Paulo.

Ibirarema originates in the establishment of the village of Pau d'Alho on the right bank of the river of the same name. "Pau d'alho" (lit. garlic wood) is the local name of the tree Gallesia integrifolia (Spreng.) Harms, referring to the garlic flavour of its flowers. In 1913, João Corrêa and Nadário Marana moved the village closer to the building site of the Sorocabana railway and renamed it Ibirarema. The railway station was inaugurated on 12 October 1914, which boosted the development of the village. The district of Pau d'Alho was established by Law No. 1,889 of 11 December 1922, as part of the municipality of Salto Grande, and inaugurated on 3 May 1923. The municipality of Ibirarema was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945. - Municipal website

The symbols of Ibirarema are prescribed in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 17 March 1990, as "the flag and the anthem". Oddly enough, the coat of arms is not listed among the symbols. - Municipal Constitution

The flag is green with a white saltire. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.


Ivan Sache, 9 April 2013